ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3 second freeze as I access After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex dinnin3 second freeze as I access After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:51:06 am

** Machine details at bottom **

OK.. this is a weird one..

When I leave after effects and go to a web browser lets say.. when I go back to After Effects it freezes for about three seconds.. then kicks into life..

I've put up with this for a while..but I really need to sort it out.. as I am constantly copying text or paths from other applications and pasting them into AE.. I can't wait three seconds every time I move back to After Effects

I've played about with the memory settings as I thought this was a problem that other programmes needed more ram... and that it was having to flush before it went into After Effects.. but this has made no difference.

I have 20 gig.. I currently have 8 for AE etc and 12 for Other Programmes..

So then I thought it was a plug in issue.. so I removed all the plugins I could.. still the same problem..
I then stumbled across problem 02.. I wanted to remove the Trapcode and Magic Bullet Plugins.. to see if they were the problem.. but I can't find them..I've searched in my plugins folder.. they are not there.. I've done a search on all my Mac.. but this only brings up the installers..

Where are RedGiant Hiding my Plugins ??

So as a last resort.. I'm figuring I need to reinstall After Effects.. however I just wanted to try one last thing..

Can I reset After Effects to it's original install.. can I move or delete a preferences file.. so it starts again from scratch.. If not I guess I will have to do a re-install.. it's just a bit of a pain..

any help would be greatly appreciated..

kind regards and Happy New Year

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 20 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68b8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 3 second freeze as I access After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:53:01 pm

resetting the prefs may be a good idea, you can simply hold command+option+shift while launching ae and it will give you a prompt asking if you want to restore the original settings.

or, if you don't want to lose your current settings, you can move the current preference file to the desktop. when you re-open ae, it will create a new pref file. you can find the pref file in users/username/library/preferences/adobe/after effects/versionnumber.

after that try switching between apps with a new project file and all the default settings. if that works, try it with the last project file that you had problems with.

if all is good, try enabling multi-processing again. and try setting ram for other apps to around 6-8gb and cpus for other apps to half of the available cores (i think 4 for your machine). ae will still often use those cores when other apps aren't using them, but this setting seems to work very well for me.

if you haven't read todd kopriva's tips for settings in after effects, you might want to take a look:

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

alex dinninRe: 3 second freeze as I access After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:05:04 pm

Thanks Kevin,

I finally found out how to delete the preferences.. and this has worked.. which is a huge relief
as I really didn't fancy installing all the Red Giant plugins again with seperate serial numbers !!

I've changed the Ram and cores to what you recomended..

the trouble is now...I am so used to waiting for three seconds.. when I go back to AE.. I find myself pausing..

thanks again

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3 second freeze as I access After Effects
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:55:46 pm

> Where are RedGiant Hiding my Plugins ??

from the "Plug-ins" section of After Effects Help:
"After Effects also loads plug-ins from a MediaCore folder, which is intended to hold plug-ins shared between After Effects and Premiere Pro. Some third-party plug-in installers install their plug-ins in this folder. "

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved