ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe LessardAfter effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:19:13 pm

I have a problem importing xdcam ex 1080p24(from final cut Pro) in after effect CS5( on a MacPro(lastest edition 2x2.66/6 cores/32gb) os 10.6.5, the clip import but is marked as a mpeg and is almost completly green and blocky.What is weird, is that in CS4 is look perfect and in quicktime to, and are marked as xdcam!!! I have installed the xdcam transfer and have the mpeg2.component installed. Other mac at my job dont have the problem and have the same configuration.

Sure we can export to another codec, but the timelines are in xdcam so...
I remenber i have see a post about this here, but cant find it.
I havent found any solution, maybe i have to reinstall AE CS5?

Any clues?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:33:36 pm

the xdcam codec may actually be part of the applehdvcodec.component in quicktime.

my best guess would be that you need a newer version of that component... for some reason it may not jive well with cs5/64-bit environment.

i have cs5 and use xdcam footage (ex 720p60 35mb/s) and don't have any problems, though i still prefer not to use xdcam as a working codec in ae...

'get info' on the component shows v1.6 (may 2, 2009).

get info on my applempeg2codec component shows v1.0.1 (v220), jan 12, 2009.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Philippe LessardRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:07:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply,

I forgot to mention that i have already make a boris xlm transfer with sucess, mean the xdcam is reconize. but if we export/render the Final Cut xdcam ex sequence as is, im(2 out of 6 computers) no longer able to reconize the codec? I just verified, and the two components you mentioned are updated! I have see other people having this problem and no one seem to have a solution.Is not a big deal for us to export the sequence in another codec(since is not a good codec to work with in AE), but we wished to use the boris xlm transfer.And still, on 6 computers here, 4 are ok and 2 have this problem.

I'll continu to troubleshot and if i find a solution i will make a post,
but at this time, CS5(at least my CS5) seem to be the problem.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:42:22 pm

As Kevin says, XDCam isn't the greatest thing to use in AE. And it's certainly better in FCP to convert XDCam footage to ProRes 422 as you capture it.

The reason: if for any reason you have to re-render -- you apply a couple of effects, you slide the video across the screen, whatever -- you will be extremely glad FCP didn't re-render in XDCam. Those long-gop codecs just don't hold up under re-rendering.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian BerberichRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 9:09:32 pm

I work at a facility that has lots of After Effects stations. All of the computers with have the same problem that you are noticing. The 3 stations that were not upgraded,, play XDCam EX just fine. All of the Quicktime Components are the same. We are hoping that the next upgrade will address the issue.

A slight aside question. I am from an editorial background and understand the importance of choosing a good editorial codec. For After Effects though, does it matter to transcode video files out of a lossy codec and into a more uncompressed codec? Isn't After Effects only rendering once anyway? Obviously there is no other solution here, but in general.

Return to posts index

Philippe LessardRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:07:12 pm

AE prefer a lossless codec in ingest because it have all the informations for each frame, in each frame.And for vfx/composite/keying job youll prefer a 4:2:2 or a higher codec for the chroma information that it contain.There some software able to reprocess h264 from a canon 5/7D to prores 422 with a true chroma information, but just converting to another lossless codec dont make your footage regain color/chroma information, but AE will not struggled/crash to process/render it.

Return to posts index

Rick MooreRe: After effects CS5 XDCAM EX import problem
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:45:18 pm

Hi there,

I have this same issue.
Anyone have any luck figuring out what was causing this?
The only difference I see in my corruption is that instead of green garbage, mine is red....why?

Any solutions on fix yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved