ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE in exported to Flash looks grainy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsAE in exported to Flash looks grainy
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:25:31 pm

I'm a motiongraphics designer and I work in After Effects. I don't know much if anything about Flash.
I was approached by a company who would like to have some non-Flash video and animation motiongraphics in their displays (I believe they do interactive digital displays/video walls/multi media controllers).

This is the email:

We use code that’s written in Action Script to pull dynamic data from another program. Typically, what we do is lay the code over whatever design the designer created in flash it all gets exported as one flash file and then brought into our proprietary software, laid out, then scheduled out to a screen.

I’d like to be able to work with you to design several backgrounds in After Effects, then put the code on top of it. The problem is our proprietary software won’t allow me to layer movie files. So, I can’t put your movie file behind my data file and still see the data. My developers came up with the idea of taking the After Effects design, exporting it to flash, adding in the code with the end result being a flash file that plays.

The only problem with this, is that we can’t seem to export to movie file to flash without it looking very pixely and grainy, obviously not an acceptable end result. Do you have any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

I hope this is possible... I'd really like this job :)

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE in exported to Flash looks grainy
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:05:09 pm

Do they want an .swf or an .flv?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE in exported to Flash looks grainy
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:03:03 pm

As Joey's response suggests, there are a lot of different thing that people mean by "exporting to Flash".

Here's a video overview of the options.

Here's a page in After Effects Help on the options.

I'm going to guess that the result that looks bad is SWF output for raster video. The right choice for raster video is F4V or FLV.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved