ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Combining Different Aspect Ratios and FPS

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike StadnyckyjCombining Different Aspect Ratios and FPS
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:48:49 pm

Hello,

I'm combining a whole bunch of footage with varying aspect ratios and FPS in AE. Needless to say I'm encountering a couple of issues. My final composition is 720x480 and I have 4:3 elements along with 16:9. Some are square pixels some are 0.9 and 1.2. If I set my final to square pixels I get distortion from the ones that aren't square. How can I get them to all get along?

The second part would be my varying FPS. I have some at 29.9 and 23.9, would it be best to sacrifice some realness and just have them all at 23.9, or go with a 3:2 pulldown?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Combining Different Aspect Ratios and FPS
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:13:08 pm

It's difficult to advise you on the frame rate question because we don't know the frame rate you need to deliver.

You should know that in AE, getting the frame rates right is an absolute necessity. The NTSC video frame rate is NOT 29.9, but 29.97. The NTSC film frame rate is NOT 23.9, but 23.976. Your comps must be at that frame rate, or there will be trouble down the road.

Similarly, we don't know which aspect ratio you're expected to deliver -- is is 16x9, or 4x3?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Combining Different Aspect Ratios and FPS
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:34:22 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "The NTSC video frame rate is NOT 29.9, but 29.97. The NTSC film frame rate is NOT 23.9, but 23.976. Your comps must be at that frame rate, or there will be trouble down the road."

in addition your footage will need to conform to those frame rates... if you select a piece of footage in the project window, at the top it should display some attributes for the file, including fps. if the fps is not standard, then you'll want to correct it by choosing file>interpret footage>main and conforming the footage to the closest standard frame rate.

as dave mentions, we'll need to know more about the planned destination/delivery to give you further specifics... of the cuff, i'd recommend 720x480, .91 par, 29.97fps.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mike StadnyckyjRe: Combining Different Aspect Ratios and FPS
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:19:29 pm

Ah yes I simply abbreviated the FPS when I said 29.9, but meaning 29.97, my mistake.

This is for a showreel, for web and DVD. I'll be exporting it at 720x480. There is no set restrictions on what aspect ratio, I'd like to do 16:9 but there is a lot of 4:3 and 3:2 material and that much letter boxing could get distracting. I'm unsure of what to do when they aren't all square pixels.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:41:15 pm

If you want my opinion, I'd go 16x9, and take a page from broadcast & cable to handle the 4x3 stuff.

To accommodate all those SD TV sets out there -- plus all the SD cameras still in use within their organizations -- guys like ESPN Sportscenter and ABC News put extra information in the gaps on either side of a 4x3 image to fill it out to 16x9. In your case, you could put your graphic design skills to use.

16x9 will also let you accommodate future HD video... which is, of course, 16x9.

Frame rate is a tougher question. What frame rate predominates in your work? No matter what it is, it will have to be progressive scan for the web, which means you ought to invest in frame rate conversion software like ReelVision's Twixtor or Magic Bullet.

And here you thought this stuff was going to be easy, no?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:44:25 pm

Haha, yes formating is always a blast. I would suppose 70% is 23.976 FPS and the rest is 29.97 (with a few at 30). Ah I have used Twixtor before for some frame blending but I forgot about it completely.

You bring up some good thoughts, I would prefer a 16:9 result. To accommodate my 720x480 elements with my 1920x1080. I would suppose a 853x480 final with square pixels might be my best bet then.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:48:53 pm

[Mike Stadnyckyj] "I would suppose a 853x480 final with square pixels might be my best bet then."

Yup. Sure would be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:44:44 pm

Okay great, thanks for the help!

Cheerios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved