ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

portrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maryanne Hamillportrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:31:48 pm

I need to make an AE comp for a portrait/pivoting monitor. It's a Samsung, I'm not sure of the model #, 16:9 monitor. I'm doing SD so I set up a comp for NTSC D1 Widescreen, Width: 486 x Length: 720, Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.21). Then created another comp the same except Width:720 x Length: 486 & brought the 1st comp into it. Then rotating the comp. When I did so I had to stretch the comp wider which doesn't seem right. Anywho, when we play it on the portrait/pivot monitor it has 3's of black top & bottom & looks stretched.

What should I be setting my comps to? I haven't found anything on the web about setting up AE comps to go into these type monitors. Has anyone worked with this type of display?
Thanks in Advance -M

Thanks in advance, Maryanne

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: portrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:46:32 pm

This sounds like the playback device doesn't know that the file is supposed to be 16x9. I wonder what they're using to play back your work?

Typically, you'd want to work in an NTSC DV Widescreen comp in AE. The render codec can be anything, but that's a pretty standard resolution... especially if this is being played back on a DVD.

I presume you're aware that have to rotate all the layers in your comp 90 degrees to get it to come out correctly.... and that you need to know if the monitor is being rotated clockwise or counterclockwise.

One alternative: work in 540x960, square-pixel comp; it will be 16x9, but vertical. When you're done, nest it in an NTSC DV Widescreen comp, rotate it 90 degrees in the proper direction, and scale it to fit the comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Maryanne HamillRe: portrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:48:10 pm

I'll try the 540x960 approach.

Thanks in advance, Maryanne

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: portrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:46:41 pm

what is going to be playing the rendered source... tape deck, dvd, computer using a computer media player (like win media player or quicktime) or computer using dvd player software.

if it is a deck, dvd player or computer using dvd player software then the final render will should probably be 720x480, 1.21 par and either 29.97fps or 23.976fps. you could work with a comp that is vertical (480x872, square pixel) then drop that into a standard widescreen comp with the same frame rate and rotate it 90 for render.

if the file will be played via a media player, then you may be able to keep the render vertical too, so the 480x872 comp should work for the final.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: portrait/pivoting monitor AE comp setting
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:42:21 pm

[Maryanne Hamill] "m doing SD so I set up a comp for NTSC D1 Widescreen, Width: 486 x Length: 720, Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.21). Then created another comp the same except Width:720 x Length: 486 & brought the 1st comp into it. Then rotating the comp. When I did so I had to stretch the comp wider which doesn't seem right. "

The pixel aspect ratio does not "rotate" when you swap the width and the height, so this could get very confusing very quickly.

Like Dave recommended, I'd work in a 9:16 square pixel comp, then nest and rotate it in a 16:9 widescreen SD non-square comp for output for standard definition video devices. 720x486 is a curious choice. For any kind of digital playback, I'd expect a 720x480 requirement for SD.

I'd consider working in HD anyway -- the monitor almost certainly supports it. You can render out to SD today, but if the playback equipment gets upgraded as the project continues, you can render out clean HD instead.

As Kevin mentioned, a computer-based player MIGHT support display rotation, which would mean that you could render your 9:16 comp -- but in that case, it would probably prefer square pixels.

You'll need to find out a little more information about how this will be played back so you know best how to deliver, and therefore how to set up your comps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]