ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris JoyceCinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:17:15 pm

Hi there, I hope someone can help I'm in a bit of trouble.

I'm currently working on a 30 Second Ad and using Cinema 4D 11.5 and After Effects CS5. My situation is this. I have a 3D shield in C4D which moves and animates around with a rendered object buffer so I can match on the music videos onto the face of the shield in After effects.

In AE I have imported the cinema 4d file matched up the videos position & x,y and z values and masked it so it looks like the video is embedded in the shield and it looks perfect! My problem is when I bring that into my main comp and use time remapping to shorten it, the video file moves slightly out of place from the shield every couple of frames. Initially it was because the C4D file was 30FPS but even re-rendering at 25FPS makes no difference.

I have no idea why this happens. I thought if I use time remapping if wouldn't change things inside the comp. My solution was to render out the initial comp and import that into my main comp. This keeps it all together nicely but the shield is slightly jumpy even with pixel blending on.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense just trying to fix it before the end of tomorrow. Any would help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:33:29 pm

i don't think you want to use time remapping to try and fix frame rate mismatches.

the jumpiness that you describe in the rendered footage sounds like what would happen if you placed footage of one frame rate into a comp with a different frame rate.

ideally you'd should have everything at the same frame rate...

if your c4d render is 30 fps and your comp is 29.97, then you can use the interpret footage settings to conform the c4d footage to 29.97 (select the c4d render in the project window, then choose file>interpret footage>main and set the frame rate). if the comp is 25 fps, then you'd want to re-render the c4d footage.

so, what frame rate do you need/want to work in, and how many different frame rates do you currently have?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris JoyceRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:59:21 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I thought this was the problem originally thats why i re-rendered the C4D file at 25 FPS (the same as everything else). I've double and triple checked and everything is 25 FPS as it should be yet this problem still persists. I will be calling it a day in an hour so will get back to you tomorrow if I find a solution.

All the best.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:02:49 pm

If you used the Replace Footage command in AE to incorporate the new 25fps footage, double-check your comp. Time remapping is probably still enabled, and it shouldn't be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:23:17 pm

yep, i think there is something still wrong within the comp from this statement:

[Chris Joyce] "Initially it was because the C4D file was 30FPS but even re-rendering at 25FPS makes no difference.

I have no idea why this happens. I thought if I use time remapping if wouldn't change things inside the comp. My solution was to render out the initial comp and import that into my main comp. This keeps it all together nicely but the shield is slightly jumpy even with pixel blending on."

if the comp is 25fps and the new c4d render is 25fps (that should be rendered from c4d at 25fps, not converted with ae), then there shouldn't be any time remapping or pixel blending going on, and i don't think you'd necessarily need to pre-render at that stage... but i may be misunderstanding what's going on.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:50:20 pm

I'm with Kevin; you shouldn't use time remapping for frame rate conversion. It simply is NOT the proper way to do it.

Since you don't really say anything about the frame rate at which ALL of your footage originated, it's difficult to give useful advice on how to proceed, other than conforming the C4D footage to 29.97.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris JoyceRe: Cinema4D & After Effects and Time Remapping Problem
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:05:48 am

Feel a complete idiot this morning. I re-rendered the c4D file at 25 FPS with the same name just in a different folder. When I tested it I still used the 30FPS render by mistake which created the mismatch!

Thanks for your help anyway it's amazing what you do when your minds gone numb from a hard days work, it's also great to see things with a fresh mind in the morning!

Thanks again,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]