ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

import jpeg 2000 files into CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Marchetti
import jpeg 2000 files into CS5
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:11:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a jpeg2000 (.j2c) sequence which is coming from an unwrap of a DCP package. I have an error message (not supported file) every time I try to import into after effects cs5. This is weird because there is a JPEG2000 plugin into after effects folder and I am able to open j2c file with photoshop.

Previously I was able to import such file with CS4 version with fnord plugin but sadly it has not been updated to work with CS5.

I did search here and adobe forum but it seems I am the only one with this problem

Does anyone know how to import j2c file in after effects CS5 ?

TIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: import jpeg 2000 files into CS5
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:39:47 pm

The latest version of Quicktime Pro version 7? It's worth investigating -- I know it can work with JPEG 2000 video.

Avoid Quicktime 10 at all costs; treat it like it carries the Ebola virus.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Xavier Marchetti
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:50:57 pm

I forgot to mention that I am on PC windows 7 64bit professional. I have quicktime 7.6.8. I'm going to try with latest version of quicktime.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:20:45 pm

[Xavier Marchetti] "I'm going to try with latest version of quicktime."

As far as I know 7.6.8 IS the latest version of Quicktime for Windows.

However, since Walter Soyka deals with a much larger list of codecs than I do, I would follow his advice about JPEG 2000 rather than my advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:51:17 pm

JPEG2000 is not on the list of supported import formats for After Effects [link]. If Photoshop is able to open the file, you may be able to use it to batch-convert to a format you can use. You should double-check that it's handling the color space conversion correctly before you begin work.

Maybe the best solution is to get the original media and re-author the DCP when you're finished?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Xavier Marchetti
on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:13:46 pm

Thank you for your answers. I knew J2c wasn't in the list of of supported file format but as there is a JPEG2000 plugin in after effect and which seems to be the same than the photoshop's one I presumed it would be OK. And as I didn't see any people whith the same problem as mine I thought I was doing something wrong. It very sad adobe didn't implement this format because this is a least 3 years old format and I receive more and more DCP package as exchange material because of the weight. Importing j2c would allow me to avoid the conversion into XYZ TIFF file which size around 16Mb compare to the 300kb of a jpeg2k. Maybe I should pray for an update of fnord plug.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:32:33 pm

[Xavier Marchetti] "there is a JPEG2000 plugin in after effect and which seems to be the same than the photoshop's one I presumed it would be OK."

There is a JPEG.plugin file in a standard After Effects install, for regular DCT-based JPEGs, but none for JPEG2000. If you see a JPEG2000.plugin file in your After Effects CS5 > Plugins > Format folder, perhaps someone tried copying the Photoshop plugin there on that machine?

[Xavier Marchetti] "It very sad adobe didn't implement this format because this is a least 3 years old format and I receive more and more DCP package as exchange material because of the weight. Importing j2c would allow me to avoid the conversion into XYZ TIFF file which size around 16Mb compare to the 300kb of a jpeg2k. Maybe I should pray for an update of fnord plug."

I absolutely agree that JPEG2000 would be a useful supported input and output format.

You could reach out to Fnordware and see if they're working on an update. Their contact information is on the Fnordware website [link].

You can also file a feature request with Adobe. Their engineers actually read every one, so your input is really valuable:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Xavier Marchetti
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:18:12 pm

thank you. Probably a co-worker here try with the photoshop plugin. I'll try what you suggest.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]