ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text to sand to new text...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Kellett
Text to sand to new text...
on Jan 3, 2011 at 3:53:17 am

G'day all,

I'm working on a title sequence at the moment where I'm trying to have one logo dissipate into sand particles like any common sand to text tutorial out there, but then I'm trying to have the sand reform into a new logo. Wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tackle it. At this point I'm thinking particular or form but am curious if anyone has done this reforming of particles effect before and if they could give us any tips about how to have the same particles leaving one shape and reforming in a new one.

Cheers,
Chris.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Text to sand to new text...
on Jan 3, 2011 at 4:43:58 pm

[Chris Kellett] "have the same particles leaving one shape and reforming in a new one."

card wipe could do this transition, if you needed to have the same particles form the new text. it doesn't have as good of control over the particles as particular or form, but you'd keyframe the jitter properties to scatter the 'cards', keyframe the transition, then keyframe the jitter back to zero.

however, i think that you could use form or particular to do the text to sand trick, but time reverse one of them so the sand forms the text. then use a dissolve, or maybe gradient wipe to transition between them.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 3, 2011 at 4:46:58 pm

I could see doing it with Form really easily.
If you apply it to a precomp with your text/logos in it, you should be able to go to sand, then transition to the new logo in your precomp while the sand swirls and then...unsand it.

But any text-to-sand method should work. Just fade one thing of sand out while you fade the other sand in.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Kellett
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:20:17 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm trying to stay away from two sand effects having a cross fade or anything so Form definitely sounds like the option. I'll try precomping a logo change and see what results I get. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Chris.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:09:39 pm

[Chris Kellett] "I'm trying to stay away from two sand effects having a cross fade or anything so Form definitely sounds like the option. I'll try precomping a logo change and see what results I get."

With Form, you'll probably want to use some kind of morph transition between elements in the precomp to keep the animation smooth. A dissolve might do, but if the shapes of the elements are very different, you'll see it affect the particles. You may need some substantial dispersion or fractal field manipulation to mask it.

If you choose to use multiple particle systems instead, I wouldn't necessarily cross fade them; rather, I'd try to set them up so that one system's particles are born at the same rate that the other's particles die. Since the transition is happening on a per-particle basis (instead of a per-layer basis), it usually takes less motion to mask the change.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Kellett
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:27:59 pm

Cheers for the advice. I was planning on having the logos morph to help hide the transition but its a handy suggestion I hadn't thought of about the dispersion and field manipulation. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Chris.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]