ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Turbulence settings in Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableTurbulence settings in Particular
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 12:37:07 pm

Having a bit of trouble trying to control the turbulence settings in Particular V2.0

I have a trail of custom particles flying into my scene and then spiralling around an object.

The particles consist of custom particles together with a light streak.
The 3d spiral is fine and works, but I want to introduce some gentle turbulence in to the path to give it more 'fluid' motion.
If I simply ramp up 'affect position, then results are too jumpy and varied, but reducing complexity doesnt help...
This is something I created yesterday after lots of playing around with the turbulence settings, I then crashed and lost my settings and now, after hours and hours of messing around with the physics settings I can't recreate what I did!

Can anyone give me advise on wether I should be using air resistance, or the turbulence 'affects position'. Also all the other variables like scale, complexity, octave multiplier and so on...I cant realy finds any help with these.

Any good tuts that cover this stuff in more detail?

Thanks, very confused..

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Turbulence settings in Particular
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:57:02 am

[Eugene Constable] "Also all the other variables like scale, complexity, octave multiplier and so on...I cant realy finds any help with these."

Particular uses Perlin noise to generate the pseudo-random numbers that drive the turbulence field. Scale, complexity, octave scale, octave multiplier are all controls that influence the Perlin noise output. There's a "how it works" section in the documentation (accessible by clicking the "Options..." link at the top of the Particular effect, then clicking the "Help..." button).

If you're more the hands-on type, you can get a pretty quick understanding by turning on Particular > Air > Visualize Fields. You'll very quickly be able to see how adjusting each of the sliders affects the turbulence field, which in turn affects your particles. I find this invaluable for adjusting turbulence fields.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved