ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard LordAfter Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 1, 2011 at 9:21:05 pm

Hi, I am working on a macpro and I am finding that rendering out a DVD from After Effects CS5 is taking a lot longer than expected. Can anyone give me some advice on how to speed this process up:

First here's my system specs:

MacPro (OSX 10.6.5)
Processor: 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Disk: 8TB Raid5 / 1TB system drive
Graphics: Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Here's the composition specs I was rendering out - I guess I want to know if these render times are normal or are too slow when considering the system specs.

Source footage: 720p Quicktime reference movie out of final cut pro 7
AE composition Colour space: 32bpc
Composition frame Size: 720x576 widescreen (scaled 720p)
Duration: 50mins
Render Codec: DVD - MPEG2, variable bitrate

Rendering to different drive than source footage.

Multiprocessing is turned on

Resulting render time was 6 hours, 11 mins

I also rendered shorter timelines of under 15mins, and the render times for those were up around 50mins each. Just seems too long. Could the 32bpc colour space be causing the longer render times?

I prefer rendering DVDs out of after effects because I think it does a better job than compressor - especially when fades to black are concerned, etc...

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:13:34 am

Yep- don't! I mean do not render a file compressed for DVD out of AE- never! Render to a lossless (animation, png..) or intermediate (Apple ProRes) codec and then use something like Adobe Media Encoder or Encore to finish your DVD (render to mpeg2...)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Richard LordRe: After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:29:03 am

But why does it encode so slowly out of AE? - I mean, the option is there to use. AE does a great job of encoding to DVD - it just takes too long. I prefer the results AE gives over compressor or other encoders. I haven't tried encore - but perhaps will to see if it's any faster and gives a good result.

My source files in these cases were already in a lossless format. I was just using AE to encode it for DVD.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:00:38 pm

AE is not an encoding program Adobe Media Encoder is meant to do just that- encode, so it will do a much faster and better job than AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:42:40 pm

[Richard Lord] "My source files in these cases were already in a lossless format. I was just using AE to encode it for DVD."

Sadly, you picked the wrong tool for the job. You should have tried Adobe Media Encoder first.

Or if you wanted to get to the PAL DV Widescreen resolution in AE before encoding to mpeg2, you should have rendered to a lossless codec.

AE takes ages to render to mpeg2... or any long-gop codec, for that matter. It just isn't built to do it well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard LordRe: After Effects Rendering DVD too slow...
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:42:16 am

Ok, great. Thanks for this guys. I'll use the Adobe Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]