ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quick question about paint-ish effect(kanye west good life)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nima Adil
Quick question about paint-ish effect(kanye west good life)
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:55:47 pm

Hi,
I want to apply the effect you see at 1:46 in this video

In my video the whole screen needs to be changed to that style-effect so if anyone could help me out with that it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
Nima

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Quick question about paint-ish effect(kanye west good life)
on Jan 1, 2011 at 12:30:08 am

You could use many different techniques for getting the cartoon-like look. Here are a few effects that could be used for a relatively quick result:

- Cartoon effect
- Posterize effect
- Colorama effect

But I suspect that the nice clean result achieved for the video was accomplished with more manual methods, including frame-by-frame painting and/or drawing with vector shapes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Nima Adil
on Jan 1, 2011 at 11:44:58 am

Hmm, I see, neither of those, like you said, create a clean look like in that video though yeah. Frame for frame painting takes ages though so I was hoping there was some plug-ins available for this haha :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:28:13 am

Like Todd suggested, I think that there's a combination of things. The sharp graphics are probably vector gfx designed in AI or the like. There can be a certain amount of distortion applied in AE - use the Mesh Warp, that can produce some of the same fluid movement within the graphics. Also, Matte choker can be used to make the letters skinnier.
All in all it takes a lot of good planning, storyboarding and research to be able to figure out what you want to do exactly, and then find the right tools to do it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nima Adil
on Jan 2, 2011 at 5:52:59 pm

Yeah a music video like this requires alot of planning but I got that covered for the project I'm working on. All I'd like to know is how that effect is made. Well now I do know that but is there any faster way of doing that? Cause frame per frame editing will take ages haha :)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:15:14 pm

> Cause frame per frame editing will take ages

Welcome to post-production.

Return to posts index

Nima Adil
on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:21:54 pm

Haha! Had a gut feeling that this wouldn't be as easy as I thought and I guess I was right. But that's just craz.. So for a 5 minute clip to be like this you need to edit 540000 frames? Damn...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 2, 2011 at 7:38:18 pm

> So for a 5 minute clip to be like this you need to edit 540000 frames?

Not necessarily.

I'm getting the sense that you don't have much of a foundation in animation basics, so forgive me if this is too remedial.

If I wanted to (heaven forbid) animate Kanye West's face as a vector graphic, I would draw it using shape layers. Then, I would set keyframes for the shape layer paths and modify those paths at key times in the animation. The software would take care of interploating the values between the keyframes.

So, to do 5-minute clip (9,000 frames), I'd probably be setting keyframes for only a few of the paths on (as a guess) one out of every ten frames. Tedious, but not impossible. That's how animation works.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:46:29 pm

sorry, no plugins to replace hard work... that's the only way to get results that are out of the ordinary.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]