ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Advanced easing on keyframes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg NeumayerAdvanced easing on keyframes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:29:21 pm

I think I spend 50% of my AE life repeating the same easing task on my keyframes. I'm constantly opening the motion editor, grabbing the handle in the velocity curves and manually creating what would be basically be a Quad, Quint or Expo curve in Flash development. Is there a better way? I love my Ease and Wiz script that I use, but it's severly limited when you've got an object that has more than one movement over it's lifespan.

My perfect world (ahem...thought this would be in CS5) would have a keyframe right-click (Better: keyboard shortcut) option to a bevy of Easy-ease options:
Easy-ease Sine, Easy-ease Expo, Easy-ease Circ, etc. and a quick look at the motion editor would reveal the handle simply pulled out the appropriate distance to replicate (if even only close) that type of ease.

Did I miss this instruction in my beautiful Borders-aroma CS5 manual that comes shipped complementary with every copy of CS5? (off-topic sarcasm!)
If not built-in, is there a hack fix that isn't an expression? Can we (not me) write a script that will adjust that handle without the mess of expressions?

Thanks for any input!
-Greg

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:45:21 pm

Update:
I'm closer to my goal with the discovery of pressing CMD-SHIFT-K (CNTRL on Windows) on a selected keyframe.

This takes me to a dialog box where I manually adjust the keyframe velocity curve influence. While not really a different mathematical equation, it allows me to change the default ease of 33.3% influence to something like 100%, which creates a more smoothed keyframe.

I'd still appreciate any input on applying true sine,quad,quint,expo,circ-type equasions to a keyframe quickly and easily.

Thanks,
Greg

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 9:16:53 pm

See this page, especially the link to the script by Ian Haigh.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2010 at 9:40:12 pm

Thanks Todd,
While these examples provide increased control, I think I may have to fill out a feature request and wait for this functionality to hopefully be wrapped in a nice "right-click on the keyframe" package. It seems like something everyday AE users would find quite useful.

These solutions (in your link) seem to work best on an entire layer, lacking control over individual keyframes. True, there's a "time" element on the expression solution, but we're definitely drifting away from everyday usage into over-complicated when we start to use code to even create the "keyframe".

One last question, though. Can we use an expression to refer to a keyframe? I'd be halfway satisfied if I could use the expression to at least refer to a "named" keyframe. Then I could keep the visual continuity of the keyframes on the timeline and wouldn't have to manually code the "when" portion that "time" refers to.

Thanks for the link.
-Greg

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 9:55:25 pm

Did you try Ian's script or at least watch his tutorial? It's incredibly simple; you jsut select a couple of keyframes and choose an interpolation type from a menu in a panel.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:16:34 pm

yes, yes. You missed it in my first post:
"I love my Ease and Wiz script that I use..."

but unless I'm missing something, it's only useful in the context that you've described: grabbing a couple keyframes and then applying the script. And for that, it's great. But Ian is stuck (I think) with the limitation that the script is applying to the entire layer's keyframes. So, while the script does provide some relief by having some "only first keyframe" type of options, it's working around the greater issue of a lack of control to be able to apply the math to keyframes as individuals. This is an inherent limitation of the broader topic of how expressions work and are applied to layers, which is why I think the only perfect fix would be for it to be a feature request that gets this math applied down on the core level of keyframes--and then shows up in the keyframe contextual menu (right-click menu).
(disclaimer: I haven't installed EaseNWizz for CS5, only CS4)

An example from my own work flow would be:
My microwave whips in from the left, eases to an awesome looking expo stop. But then, I want it to slowly creep up while I add a few lines of text below it. When I'm done, I want it to do a gentle fall and fade-out. The problem here is that I can apply the expo whip-in at the beginning, but then it's difficult to have complete control over the other keyframes to do other manipulations. I find myself having to split the layer. A solution, but not elegant or very flexible if I need to make changes to the motion later.

Thanks for the discussion, though. I'm not a mathematician, and would gladly eat crow if someone highlights my ignorance to the elegant solution.

-Greg

Antifreeze Design

Return to posts index

Justin GiovanettiRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:36:03 am

Greg,

I couldn't agree more. @Craig...right, it's been 10 years since Penner's eases came out. Seems like it would be a fundamental feature.

Greg, you're right. There's much time wasted in the motion editor. To compound the limited canned eases, you also can't lock your ease. Eg: You bezier an expo for a position change, then later change the position of either point. Well now you have to reset your curve :-[

Have you used EaseCaddy? It's a great tool. Does what you want AE to do, but in Flash.

-Justin

Tempolates™   |   http://www.tempolates.com

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:00:53 pm

It's been over 10 years since Penner had over a dozen of these settings you could use in Flash with a little jiggling. So I agree...it's long overdue for Adobe to build that into the program.

I applaud this post....and I do LOVE Haigh's plugin.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Tom AdamsRe: Advanced easing on keyframes?
by on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:40:40 pm

did i miss somwething. I'm just switching from fcp 7 and can't get my keyframes in premiere pro6 to stop drifting. argh. help?

thanks

Regards,

Tom Adams - Director/Owner
Reelife Documentary Productions
"cool digital video stuff...not boring or dumb"
http://www.reelifeproductions.com
Williamsburg, MA, USA

http://www.FolktographybyTom.com
Folktography.zenfolio.com

MacPro
FCP studio2
4TB Firewire Drives