ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is ProRes 422 good for keylight 1.2?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin CaminIs ProRes 422 good for keylight 1.2?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:32:00 am

I have a ton of P2 green screen footage and was wondering if I could convert it to the ProRes 422 codec and not suffer any noticeable degradation in image quality or in achieving a good key from keylight 1.2.

I read that ProRes 422 is a good intermediate codec to use for HD footage. But is it customary to replace the ProRes footage with the uncompressed footage for the final render? Or is it good enough quality to remain?

What are two ProRes codecs available, what does (HQ) mean? Is it High Quality?

Thanks for reading...I'm obviously new to this codec and would appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: Is ProRes 422 good for keylight 1.2?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:48:28 pm

ProRez is decent for keying; I just used it a few weeks ago with excellent results. The HQ does mean high quality. As for obtaining maximum results utilizing codecs, the number one thing is not the post production process; but the pre and production process itself that will generate the best results. To obtain the best keys, you need proper lighting, technique and good cameras. The better the camera, the better the key in most scenarios. In the end, if you take DV footage shot on the lowest consumer grade DV camera and wrap it up in the best codec possible and achieve the exact same results: crap.
As for the basics of the ProRes codec, here is a link. http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/apple-prores.html

I hope this helps.

Tim

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Is ProRes 422 good for keylight 1.2?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:09:06 pm

[Kevin Camin] "I have a ton of P2 green screen footage and was wondering if I could convert it to the ProRes 422 codec and not suffer any noticeable degradation in image quality or in achieving a good key from keylight 1.2."

Yes, you can.

[Kevin Camin] "I read that ProRes 422 is a good intermediate codec to use for HD footage. But is it customary to replace the ProRes footage with the uncompressed footage for the final render? Or is it good enough quality to remain?"

No need to go back to the original footage (which is not technically uncompressed). ProRes is appropriate for multi-generational use and mastering.

[Kevin Camin] "What are two ProRes codecs available, what does (HQ) mean? Is it High Quality?"

There are 5 ProRes variants (3 more were added in FCS 3). Listed in order of decreasing fidelity, they are: ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 (HQ), ProRes 422, ProRes 422 (LT), and ProRes 422 (Proxy).

Many here on the COW believe that ProRes (HQ) is overkill for transcoding 8-bit sources like P2, and prefer ProRes 422 for comparable visual quality at lower bitrates. Purists prefer ProRes 4444 to ProRes 422 (HQ) for effects.

Check out the Apple white paper on the ProRes family [link] for a lot more detail.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]