ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Inverted text boxes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex BrownInverted text boxes?
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 10:58:15 pm

I'm looking for a way to get something similar to the text effect in this project...

One obvious way would be to create a black background layer and mask it out around my text layers, which appears to be what was done in that video. But I'm looking for a solution where the text can be changed and each black background shape will change automatically so that a new mask wouldn't have to be created every time.

Another way I came up with was to create anywhere from 2 to 5 individual text comps, each one the exact size I want, with a black background...but then you can't easily change the font and it requires changing 2 to 5 separate text blocks instead of just one. And also, each layer would have to be animated individually.

Anyone have any ideas how that could be done easily? It seems like there must be a very easy way to, effectively, change the natural *clear* background of text to a solid black background.

PS- I wouldn't be shocked if I'm not explaining this very well.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Inverted text boxes?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:25:47 pm

You can create a bunch of masks on a black layer and just adjust them to the size you need for the words to fit. I do not know of another way to do this.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved