automation for QUICK FADES?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caspar Stracke
automation for QUICK FADES?
on Dec 30, 2010 at 2:35:24 pm

Hi all -

Imagine this:

I have a wild flickering image sequence with altering frames (It's long, 10 minutes..)
Now I realized - when projected large- it's actually too much. Flickering *WAY* too much and gets on everybody's nerves ;-)

So I decide to strobe it a bit (5 frames) But now my question is: any trick to quickfade 2 frames on each end with the next image to make even that sequence smoother?

Any trick *greatly* appreciated!

Caspar

happy new year!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: automation for QUICK FADES?
on Dec 30, 2010 at 4:42:15 pm

My older daughter, who grew up hanging around a TV station, refers to such an animation as "seizure video". I reeeeeallly think you're going to want to use something longer than a 2-frame dissolve.

You owe it to yourself to run a test BEFORE you revise the entire project. Use various frame durations. No fooling -- you don't want to get hit with a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment. You can save Opacity Animations Up & Down of various durations Effects Presets.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Caspar Stracke
on Dec 30, 2010 at 5:49:17 pm

Thanks Dave, charmed to get not only an technical advise but also an artistic/aethetical one.
I left out the fact that these single images are already form a coherent sequence so it's not THAT wild as described.

Sorry, I didnt understand Did you mean "from" or "to" the effects presents? Went thru all the presets and could not find any transparency up-down Effect.
I assume these effects work between two layers, correct? So how could I oscillate Transparency from layer 2, say in a frequence of 5 frames? (or more, in case I make a special version for your daughter ;-)

best,

Caspar

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:56:49 pm

There isn't a transparency effect. You have to animate the Opacity property with keyframes, and then you can either copy & paste keyframes or save the animation as an effect preset.

That's one way to do it. If you're not up on expressions, I don't recommend you try another way to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:07:48 pm

Are the images all of equal length? If they are, an expression should do the trick. Something... like...

(assuming all are 2 sec images on a 30fps comp with a 4f fade)

Create a new black solid and put it as the top layer.

Set opacity keyframes at frame 0 to 100, frame 3 to 0, frame 57 to 0, and frame 60 to 100. This will cause the fading in and out to black over 4 frames.

Now Alt-click the stopwatch for opacity and write: loopOutDuration()

Click out and you're DONE.

Return to posts index

Caspar Stracke
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:44:00 pm

FANTASTIC. That was exactly what I needed.

Much thanks Chris!!!!

©

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]