ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trail of Berries using Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Constable
Trail of Berries using Particular
on Dec 30, 2010 at 1:46:26 pm

Firstly - Very Happy New Year to Everyone at the Cow!

I have a Particular (V2.0) question, so this maybe should be in Trapcode forum, not sure..

I want to use a trail made up of Berries and a light streak to whizz into my scene and spiral round to reveal an icecream.

I have made a 'sprite' particle. consisting of my rotating 4 berries. thats fine

I have also roughly sketched out a 3d path and used the icecream as obscuration layer, thats fine too...
(although i'd like to know a neater way to create a 3d spiral motion path!)

But, in order to give the sense the berries are flying down this trail, in the emitter settings I turned velocity to '0' puts berries in a line but turned motion from velocity to '15' ...

the problem is as the berries go around the back of the icecream they get thrown off of path by the turn (caused by motion from velocity)

How can I gain control over the way the particles spread out yet also give the sense they are flying down the path? I like them to spread out a bit, but later on once they have completed most of the spiral shape..

Hope that makes sense!

Many Thanks in advance,

Eugene

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Trail of Berries using Particular
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:24:19 pm

[Eugene Constable] "in order to give the sense the berries are flying down this trail, in the emitter settings I turned velocity to '0' puts berries in a line but turned motion from velocity to '15' ..."

So you've animated the emitter (with a light as Emitter 1), and now you want the particles to follow its trail without flying off around the curve? You can use Particular's motion path physics feature to guide the motion of the particles.

Duplicate the Emitter 1 light layer, and rename it Motion Path 1. In Particular, go to Physics > Air > Motion Path and set it to 1. Tweak the rest of the air settings to suit.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eugene Constable
on Dec 31, 2010 at 1:56:30 pm

Hey Thanks Walter -
Well that took up most of today!
I ended up re-doing it as I had used a null to control emitter rather than the motion path light option.
Seem to have it working now which is great.
The trick now is not to get too carried away with all the physics tweaking!

cheers,
Eugene

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:20:22 pm

[Eugene Constable] "Seem to have it working now which is great."

Glad to hear it!

[Eugene Constable] "The trick now is not to get too carried away with all the physics tweaking!"

I love Particular, but that's my biggest problem with it, too. I'm always convinced that I can get the simulation looking just a little better after I tweak one last parameter...

Happy New Year,

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 3, 2011 at 3:28:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I love Particular, but that's my biggest problem with it, too. I'm always convinced that I can get the simulation looking just a little better after I tweak one last parameter..."
I know! I keep doing that too. Especially on this recent project with helicopters over water. I have about 5 different instances of Particular in each shot for the rotor wash. Endless tweaking in the pursuit of the perfect look!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]