ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

trapcode particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Newmantrapcode particular
by on Dec 25, 2010 at 7:30:01 pm

How do I make particles start as zero and move out into space with a good amount of particles
but have them go slowly? Whenever I create them they move too fast. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: trapcode particular
by on Dec 26, 2010 at 2:37:02 am

there are a few basic controls for just about any particle system.

birth rate controls the number of particles (particles per second).

velocity controls how fast they move when they are born (roughly pixels per second)

lifespan controls how long the live (usually in seconds).

so if you want a whole lot of particles all at once, animate the birth rate from a large amount to 0 over a few frames. if you want them to move slowly, set a low velocity. to set how long they are visible, set the lifespan accordingly.

with particular you can also set the opacity over life for the particles, so they could slowly fade away. or you could set the size over life to slowly decrease in size. also, there is a random setting for lifespan that will make the particles not all die at the same time.

if you needed to, you can increase the size of the emitter, but you'll need to change the emitter type from 'point' to 'box' or something that has dimension to it, then set the size in the size properties.... this way the particles aren't coming from a tiny point, but from a larger volume or plane.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: trapcode particular
by on Dec 28, 2010 at 5:39:02 pm

I have one thing to add to Kevin's very thorough reply: with Particular, you can also animate the Physics Time Factor to slow down, speed up, freeze, or even reverse time within the particle system.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeff SalmanRe: trapcode particular
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:55:16 am

Thanks again, Walter. I've been struggling for two days to find the answer to something and, again, your answer from 5 years ago helped me even today. This physics part as a way to slow down Particular was exactly what I needed (and didn't realize that physics could be used to slow down or even go backwards in time).

With the way I have particular set up right now, the only way I could generate longer tails was by setting the velocity very, very high. But then I couldn't figure out how to get that visual result ... and just slow every thing down. The info was exactly what I needed. Much appreciated, Walter.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: trapcode particular
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 9:02:32 am

You're welcome, Jeff -- glad to hear this was helpful!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shams KhanRe: trapcode particular
by on Mar 26, 2016 at 1:24:23 pm

Hey...Can anyone help me on a problem.I want to speedup the partical movement in particular to make boom blast in flat animation way.How can i do it??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved