ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Could someone pls assist me to identify this effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Brand
Could someone pls assist me to identify this effect
on Dec 25, 2010 at 11:31:30 am

I'm trying to duplicate this effect. i'm guessing there may be a script out there somewhere for it, but i have not found it yet, or even a plugin for AE or something.
Even just a name for what it's called when that happens on a film cam would help narrow down the search

pls see the image below...

the frame seems to run up off the screen thus showing the top half of the frame appear in the bottom half of the screen.
or take a look at the video where they use the effect extensively
http://www.fokofpolisiekarmovie.com/promo/

I hope someone is able to shed some light on this subject.
And yes i know it's Xmas, and NO this is not work... just curious for a personal project :)
Merry Xmas everyone!!

http://gregbrand.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Could someone pls assist me to identify this effect
on Dec 25, 2010 at 1:57:18 pm

That usually happened when the film came off the rollers and the frame was offset in front of the bulb from the projector.
You can easily obtain that effect by animating two layers of the footage parented to a null. Just offset the second layer on the Y axis so that the top edge of the frame will be under the bottom edge of the frame of the first layer. If you want to get more into it, you need to ad a mask on top of each layer that blackens the edge of the frame and rounds the corners, grain, flickers of light (using Levels for example) and many other little things.
Turning on Motion Blur will help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 25, 2010 at 8:13:16 pm

You can use the Offset effect to simulate this. There's information on the "Offset effect" page in After Effects Help, including a link to a handy expression by Lloyd Alvarez to automate it somewhat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 25, 2010 at 8:50:26 pm

Also- I just thought of this, you can use motion tile to extend the frame, no more need for the two layers and null.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Greg Brand
on Dec 26, 2010 at 7:03:27 am

Thanks very much Ted and Todd :)

that is exactly what i was looking for.
managed to pre-comp with a grungy border and some film burns, then add the offset and it works great.
just need to make sure my key-framing makes it seem natural.

Happy holidays guys

http://gregbrand.co.uk

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Dec 27, 2010 at 3:30:23 pm

Are you familiar with the wiggle expression? That works dynamite for this type of thing.

Just add it to the vertical position for the layer with the footage and you're pretty much good to go. You can add a slider to it as well to help fit the jumps in with cuts or music like in the example video.

Corbin Gross
Creative Services
Marketing
SanMar Corp.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Dec 28, 2010 at 1:53:56 am

Other people answered this, but: this can happen either in the PROJECTOR (not the camera) or the telecine, when the film gets loose from 'sprockets' (I don't think they actually use real sprockets any more, but same concept).

You see something like this when they advance the film thru a telecine faster than it's "supposed" to go: any error that some designer thinks "looks cool" in the production process will eventually get used as an effect in a music video or commercial, e.g. start/stop flashes, which occur as the mechanics of a film camera accelerate/decelerate.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]