ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cloning In After Effects With Camera Movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian LeoCloning In After Effects With Camera Movement
by on Dec 25, 2010 at 6:47:01 am

Hi! Does anyone know how to clone yourself in After Effects but with camera movement. It's like you cloning yourself but the camera kind of shakes as how people can't hold camera's very steady, or if the camera moves from left to right to view every single clone. An example similar to what I just said is this:

(Watch full video)
Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Cloning In After Effects With Camera Movement
by on Dec 25, 2010 at 2:07:04 pm

It's a combination of a few things:
1- I think that a larger format frame is being used to shoot the scenes where the camera has movement- RED at 4k for example. You basically lock the camera on a tripod, shoot the same actor a few times with carefully choreographed moves for realistic interaction and then you comp the different shots on top of each other using masks or a clean plate. The result is a 4k plate with all the action of the clones in it. Then you can take that in a 2k or HD (even SD) comp and simulate the camera moves over the 4k plate.
2- For the shots where the camera spins 180, 2 shots in 4k can be used, shot with a wide angle lens. Using a lens distort filter one can simulate a camera rotation over the 2 plates. Of course a lot of pre production planning is needed.
3- some shots have the actor shot on chroma and then composited in over live action.
4- of course a motion control camera rig can be used, but I doubt it's the case here.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved