ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem with lights in vertical motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Slijkhuis
Problem with lights in vertical motion
on Dec 23, 2010 at 8:23:21 pm

Hello,

After hours of googling I can't do anything else but ask a question and hope someone can help me out.

I'm not on my own computer right now, so I can't share a screen-shot of my problem, but I'll try to explain it as thoroughly as I can;
I'm working on a scene with 3D-layers in AE, in which I have set-up of a camera doing a vertical move, with a light parented to the camera to keep my global lighting in check.

I have a character (also in 3D-layers, to be compared to a paper-cut-out look) in the background which the camera (and attached light) travel down upon, but the most horrifying thing occurs - When the light travels down, the shadows on the character harshly flicker in and out. Creating shadows were it can't and just plainly ruining my whole tracking shot.

Does anyone know what is happening? Has anyone experienced this before? And, of course, most importantly, does anyone know how this can be fixed?

I'll be very grateful for any answers!
Much thanks in advance,

Friendly greets,
Kim

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Problem with lights in vertical motion
on Dec 24, 2010 at 5:50:19 am

Do you have openGL on? Are you seeing the problem in a rendered clip, or only in a RAM preview? Is Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously on? You don't say which version of AE you're using, but neither of the aforementioned features worked as expected in earlier versions on certain systems.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 24, 2010 at 7:27:22 am

Joey's first question about rendering with OpenGL was to be my first question, too. If you have it on, turn it off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Kim Slijkhuis
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:58:16 pm

Thanks for your answer :) I've checked all your questions, but I can say no in all cases; OpenGL is not on, neither is Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. It happens in both the RAM Preview as in the final rendered images.

I'm working with After Effects CS3 on MAC OSX 10.5.8.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Dec 24, 2010 at 5:24:00 pm

Please post a link to your render and/or some screen grabs when you get a chance.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 24, 2010 at 6:54:27 pm

Do you have any 2D layers in between your 3D layers? That tends to upset AE sometimes- actually most times.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Dec 25, 2010 at 1:39:49 pm

Another issue I've found After Effects struggles with. Overlapping layers in the same z-position. With a moving camera/lights, AE may decide to change what layer goes in front of other layers while the shot is moving. With shadows on this can look very strange.

But a look at your actual shot would help.

--------------
Merry Christmas! http://www.vimeo.com/18012728
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Kim Slijkhuis
on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:56:21 am

Thank you for all your replies :) It's indeed the Z-axis that creates the problem I discovered. Somehow AE affects the depth in some way creating the 'shadow-flickering'. Still don't know 'why', but with some tweaking it's managable and workable :)

Greets,
Kim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]