ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Morphing Effect For After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian LeoMorphing Effect For After Effects
by on Dec 23, 2010 at 9:58:37 am

Hi everyone. I am looking for a tutorial for a morphing effect effect. However, this typical morphing is not a full morph. Like if some of you watched Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, seven people drink a potion and morph into Harry. That is typically what I am trying to learn. Another way I like to morph is like in Narnia: Voyage Of The Dawn Treader where Lucy morphs smoothly into Susan twice in the film. That would be cool too.
I've seen many tutorials on how to morph in After Effects in, like Chris Zwar's tutorial.
If anyone knows how to do either of the type of morphs, it will be splendid if you could tell me how to do it. Thanks sooo much!!! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Morphing Effect For After Effects
by on Dec 23, 2010 at 10:45:08 am

Besides watching those tutorials and learning from them, here's a quick way of doing a morph in AE:
Use Mesh Warp.
Set 2 layers in a AE comp- the "morph from" layer on top of the "morph to" layer.
Start on the layer you want to morph from- apply Mesh Warp and set keyframe. Move 8 to 15 frames (or as many as you need your morph to be) and change transparency to 50% so that you can see the layer under. Use the mesh warp to distort the features of the top layer to match those of the bottom layer ( eyes to match the eyes, mouth to mouth and so on..).
Apply Mesh Warp to bottom layer and set keyframe at the end of the transition. Go back to the beginning of the transition and use the Mesh Warp to distort the bottom layer to match the top one's features.
Set transparency keyframes to animate the top layers opacity from 100% to 0 for the length of the morph.
That's basically it.
For a good effect either shoot both characters on chroma or have a lock down camera and a positioning grid to make sure the background does not change.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ian LeoRe: Morphing Effect For After Effects
by on Dec 23, 2010 at 11:47:43 pm

Alright! Thanks very much for helping! :)

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Morphing Effect For After Effects
by on Dec 24, 2010 at 9:07:42 pm

That is a really good and fast way to do a morph. Just tried it out myself and it works great. Thanks for sharing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved