ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pulling Content from a Video Selection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim HuffPulling Content from a Video Selection
by on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:06:25 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am helping a local dance studio create dvd's of their routines from various competitions. As an intro to the dvd, I would like to be able to have a select number of stills/frames move across the screen, then have a single dancer or group or dancers jump out of the video frame and continue dancing as the frame moves through space. I don't know if I want the frames to remain vertical while the dancer is pulled to one side of the screen, or have the frames go horizonal with the dancer performing on top. From several of the tutorials I have watched on your site, I think I can do everything but pull the dancer and mask out the surrounding content while he/she dances. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Pulling Content from a Video Selection
by on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:21:46 pm

I think the best way is to shoot the dancer on chroma and composite that in the environments of each frame. You will need a killer storyboard and a lot of preparation to do it though. Another way is to use well choreographed movements and roto and morphing, but that's even harder than the first method.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Pulling Content from a Video Selection
by on Dec 22, 2010 at 10:28:20 pm

If you plan to pull the dancer out of footage that's already been shot, you will have to do rotoscoping or "roto" as Ted called it.
I agree that the easier solution would be to plan ahead and shoot the dance moves you want to use for the title on a chroma screen and key the dancers out.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Pulling Content from a Video Selection
by on Dec 22, 2010 at 10:30:12 pm

Here's a page that includes a lot of useful information on keying.
For example, you want to shoot with a fast shutter speed, so you get as little motion blur as possible.
And don't forget that myriad of keying tutorials here at the COW.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]