ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2D still is 2D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mort Ulbricht
2D still is 2D
on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:47:53 pm

Good, that there is CC (Creative Cow, not Crowd Control ^^).

I created a Ring with 3D Stroke, so not filled, only the Outlines.
Then I wrote a Text into this Ring. Then I cliked at 3D Layer to make the Ring 3D. After this I did a camera layer. Now I would like to rotate the Ring 360 degrees in 1 direction and the Text in the other direction.

The 2 problems I have are, that the Ring and the letters are still 2D and I can´t rotate them both seperate(ly?).
If I rotate the Ring, the Text goes in the same direction.

What can I do to solve both? Maybe just a small answer, but I didn´t found something similar in the search option.

Thx for your time :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: 2D still is 2D
on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:23:22 pm

I'm not quite following what you did.
What do you mean by "I wrote a Text into this Ring".
You created text using the 3d stroke or you created a new text layer?
Also, Trapcode's 3d Stroke effect should be applied to a 2d layer and the layer shouldn't be turned 3d.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:52:53 pm

I did the Outlines of the Ring and then used the Text Tool to write "Ring" into the Ring. I created the Ring with a normal mask path and used the 3D stroke on this path then. Hope, this is more clearly now?

Can´t the 3D Stroke be made to 3D?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:16:17 pm

3D stroke is 3d, the layer that it's applied to should stay 2d- 3d stroke will respond to your AE camera.
Now for what you're trying to do it seems to me that Zaxwerks Invigorator should be more appropriate- you can have a true 3d ring and 3d text that can rotate in opposite directions.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:18:13 pm

3d Stroke is an effect that renders a 3d effect onto a 2d layer. If you want it to respond to your comp camera, go into the effect's settings and tick the box to use Comp camera.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:15:10 am

Thank you for your answers :-)

I found the comp button ^^

But what I don´t get is, how can I rotate Text in 3D Space?
I mean, when I take the word "Ring", I would like to rotate it int he middle, between the "i" and the "n".
But this 3 arrows (green, red and blue, dunno the exactly name in english, sorry again for my bad english plz) are at the "R" and I can´t move just them.
And could it be, that my Orbit camera tool is broken? I can, when I use it, only go left/right and up/down. But I can´t rotate with the Orbit camera tool.

And a last question plz...what is Zaxwerk? A programm or a preset for AE?

Thx again for taking time for me :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 22, 2010 at 1:11:14 pm

google zaxwerks- you'll get all the answers you need.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mort Ulbricht
on Dec 22, 2010 at 1:24:13 pm

Uhm...thank you for showing me Zaxwerks.....but...I am just a student, who likes to work with AE. I have only money to get AE 7, how shall I get Zaxwerks oO

So plz, it isn´t meant bad, but maybe a solution for normal AE to get Text 3D with a rotating of 360 degrees would be really nice. :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:16:50 pm

To rotate your text, select your text layer, press r on your keyboard and it should open up the rotation properties. Or twirl down your layer's attributes and find the rotation properties there.

If you'd rather do it with your mouse, select the rotation tool (or press w on your keyboard) and put it on those colored arrows to rotate.

Instead of Zaxwerks for 3d, here is a free way: http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/ce-shapeextruder/
Here is a tutorial on other ways to get 3d in After Effects: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/3D_Extruded_Text....

However, from your questions it sounds like you're very new to After Effects. I would suggest you start here first and go through all of the resources it links: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]