ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to link the country names with the Globe?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sanjeev ramanathan
How to link the country names with the Globe?
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:51:13 am

I have made a earth with plain earth map and created a globe with CC Sphere in After Effects to look like earth, now i want to link all the country names with the globe in the relevant country location. so When the globe rotates all the text rotates along with that.

But the text is not flattered on top of the earth like the earth map it is sticking outside like a pole.

Iam not able to get this thing going can anyone help me.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to link the country names with the Globe?
on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:31:59 pm

Are you saying you want your text to stick out or you don't want it to stick out? I didn't quite follow your question.

If you want it to stay flat, you could just put it in the texture map precomp (I'm assuming that your earth image is in a precomp).
If you want it to stand off a bit, put it in its own precomp and apply CC Sphere to it, but make the sphere a bit bigger and link any turning or placement values you will be animating to your earth sphere effects. Then duplicate the layer and sandwich your earth sphere between the two text spheres and tell the top one to only render the front and the bottom one to only render the back.

If you want the text to stick off of the globe, you'll have to make it 3d, place a null at the location where the center of your sphere is, parent the text to that null and make the null's rotation match the sphere's rotation. (Possibly with expressions to make life easier.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:12:31 pm

The Second point is what i was looking for, i don't want to apply the text as texture. I want to stick out, you can check this site of John Dickerson's motion works (http://www.motionworks.com.au/) if you scroll down to the bottom right you'll see a tag box, Place your mouse cursor on that, something similar i was expecting.

I tried with the null and linked the text to it, the placement is not matching, something like mexico, brazil, Uk, i have all those text and i want to match it with their location and stick there and follow the movement of the earth.

Correct me if iam wrong, i created a null and linked the text to the null and i linked the roation of the null to the earth's rotation (cc sphere) and i offset the text so that its sticking outside the earth and not inside, iam getting some funny rotation.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:24:21 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you will have to multiply the x and y rotation in the expression by -1.
Now, if you need your text to go behind your globe, that gets a bit more involved. You could do it manually by splitting the layer and moving it below your globe at the appropriate points. Or you could work out some sort of complicated expression with two copies of your layer that drive which one is visible at any given moment, based on the actual position in 3d space of your text layer...
I'm gonna give this a try and see if I'm succesful. I'll try to remember to post the project if it works.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:23:11 pm

Thanks Michael. Just want to say iam not really good at expression, but i'll find some way to fix, if you find it please do share i really appreciate that.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:56:27 pm

Voila: 1425_globetexttest.aep.zip

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:32:02 am

Thanks Michael, but i don't have CS5 here i am running CS4 here, is it possible to change that to cs4?

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:25:00 am

"Is it possible to change that to cs4?"

Technically, no. But it can be recreated in CS4. Since I've already got everything set up, it shouldn't take me too long to recreate it. I believe I have CS4 at work still...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:12:57 pm

Here is the CS4 version.
1428_globetextcs4.aep.zip
I've updated it beyond what was in the CS5 version. So, if anyone else downloaded the previous version, you're gonna want this one. It's more awesomer. The planet's texture is improved and there are other nice tweaks.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:09:04 pm

Whoop, I just realized I may have accidentally put both United States layers under the globe...you'll want to move the top one up in the layer stack.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Dec 23, 2010 at 2:36:23 am

Thanks a lot Michael, i really appreciate the effort you put in to recreated the whole thing.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 23, 2010 at 6:54:00 pm

No problem. I actually an odd bit of downtime yesterday. I hope that was roughly the kind of effect you were after.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Dec 24, 2010 at 6:20:55 am

Iam working something like this
http://www.vimeo.com/17893132
which took me 3 weeks for that for the effects part, this time i need to take one step further to project the earth out of the glass, these are the R&D iam working on.

I have this whole month only for R&D, will post the video once i through with this.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathan
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:44:52 pm

Here's the final output, i hope you don't mind your name on the credit.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]