ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

pixel aspect ratio between AI and AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapman
pixel aspect ratio between AI and AE
on Dec 19, 2010 at 12:22:07 am

im trying to bring in an Illustrator file (a logo) into AE, to throw at the beginning of a trailer.

My video comp in AE is 720x480 D1 NTSC Widescreen (1.21) pixel aspect ratio.

It looks like AI files import at 1.00 aspect ratio. I've tried a few things, but always end up with a jagged looking logo when i drop it into my video comp.

What is the best practice for working with pixel aspect ratio between AI and AE?

thanks!

dean

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: pixel aspect ratio between AI and AE
on Dec 19, 2010 at 1:30:45 am

[dean chapman] "It looks like AI files import at 1.00 aspect ratio. I've tried a few things, but always end up with a jagged looking logo when i drop it into my video comp."

Relax. There's nothing wrong.

It's just that AE, having been born in 1991 as a square-pixel-only application, doesn't have the best faculties to deal with non-square pixel aspect ratios while you work in your comps.

It renders everything just fine; it simply wants you to cut it some slack in the comp window. In the comp window there is a pixel aspect ratio compensation toggle switch at the bottom; I think it has a couple of arrows on either end. One way, 16x9 stuff looks squeezed horizontally, but smooth. The other way, everything's in 16x9, but jagged-looking.

It will render in 16x9, plus it will be nice 'n smooth. It's one of those things in AE you have to take as an article of faith.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dean chapman
Re: pixel aspect ratio between AI and AE
on Dec 19, 2010 at 2:15:42 am

ahh, thank you Dave.

that is very good to know.

-d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>