ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

H.264 Codec - Jumping?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony HardyH.264 Codec - Jumping?
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 9:13:50 pm

Hey everyone.

I've been working on an animation for about a month now and it was rendering out of After Effects in H264 just fine.
Now, I've finally got it finished, come to render out as H264 and its jumping and skipping all over the place when I watch it back in Quicktime.

I can render out a Quicktime Sorensen 3 file and that works perfectly well, yet when I then try to drop that onto the timeline and render it out as H264, it skips again.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: H.264 Codec - Jumping?
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31:27 pm

What's your version of AE? Look under the help menu item for About After Effects.

If you have anything other than AE 10, don't use H.264 footage in AE; H.264 is toxic to pre-version-10 AE.

And you should be rendering in H.264 no matter what version you have, because AE stinks at rendering good-looking H.264. Render high-quality, and use your Sorenson compression app to do the H.264. Happiness ensues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony HardyRe: H.264 Codec - Jumping?
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:44:16 pm

Hey Dave.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using CS5.
Yet, I closed it down, opened it again and rendered out and it worked again. It's been fine all week then it has a 3 hour hiccup and then back to normal. I just don't understand it at times.

Yeah, I figured rendering as Sorenson would be the best option out, and then drop that into something else to render as H264. I just didn't know what to use to compress it down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved