ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particular trail of fruit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableParticular trail of fruit
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:07:19 pm

Hi,
This possibly should go in the trapcode forum not sure.

I am working on an animation for a 'fruity' icecream , I want to have a Particular trail of rotating fruit that flies into the scene. The trail is made of of custom particles, in this case four different types of fruit.

Im not sure of the best way to set up particular (v2.0)

The emitter position is controlled by null for x,y and z that works fine
Camera also fine.

Problem - how to set up the custom layer

I have a 30s precomp of which 1st 15s sec is 2 rotations of strawberry. 2nd 15s is rotation of mango. (havent added other 2 yet).
Then I set the layer texture in particular to sample using random loop.

It sort of works but..
As it is sampling random frames in the precomp, sometimes the strawberry just flicks to being a mango and vice versa. (sampling the halfway point in my precomp I guess) which looks rubbish! how do I set this up to avoid this?

Should I use a different instance of particular for each fruit?

Hope that made sense...Any ideas greatfully received!

Rgds

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particular trail of fruit
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:30:29 pm

[Eugene Constable] "Problem - how to set up the custom layer
I have a 30s precomp of which 1st 15s sec is 2 rotations of strawberry. 2nd 15s is rotation of mango. (havent added other 2 yet). Then I set the layer texture in particular to sample using random loop."

Set the time sampling to "Split clip - loop" instead of "Random loop." Set the number of clips to 2.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Particular trail of fruit
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:35:54 pm

You'll have four kinds of fruit, yes? Make sure each takes up an equal amount of time in your precomp.
Then, twirl down the texture settings for your particle, under Time Sampling choose Split Clip - Loop, then set the numver of clips to 4.
:)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Particular trail of fruit
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:36:38 pm

Darn, Walter's faster.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eugene ConstableRe: Particular trail of fruit
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:03:56 pm

Thanks again to the Cow! the 'split clip loop' in Particular works a treat.

Just one more thing though - having got my trail of mangos and strawberries working I want to add more dramatic perspective on the trail so we have fruit up close and then trailing off into the distance in a long line. Eventually its going to twist around an icecream...
But Im noticing when I start rotating the orbit camera tool to gain this perspective the fruit particles seem to start overlapping and going through each other which looks wrong. The velocity is set to 20 to allow them to slowly spread out. I'm guessing its to do with conflicting 3d space?

I also tried rotating transform world within particular but same thing occurred.

Any ideas how I avoid these odd intersections?

..many thanks again!

Eugene

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Particular trail of fruit
by on Dec 18, 2010 at 2:43:54 am

[Eugene Constable] "Im noticing when I start rotating the orbit camera tool to gain this perspective the fruit particles seem to start overlapping and going through each other which looks wrong."

If you're using a Textured Polygon particle type, the particles are free to rotate in 3D space, and may slice through each other.

If you use a Sprite particle type instead, they will always auto-orient to the camera (they are only free to rotate around their z-axis), so you won't have any awkward 3D intersections.

I covered this in a recent thread (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/991564), where I go into a little more detail on this image which compares the differences:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]