ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering Jumps Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron JohnsonRendering Jumps Frames
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:16:11 am

Alright, so when I try to render a clip from After Effects it will skip forward several frames and then skip back, then when it reaches the frames it skipped to earlier it skips over them. This messes up the effects and makes it look really dumb. Ive tried changing different settings and have not had much success.I saw something earlier that said the frames of the footage and the render settings could be different but as far as I can tell theyre set to the same. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rendering Jumps Frames
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:45:07 pm

What version of AE are you using? What format are the video files in the composition? What codec are they using? What frame rate are the clips? What frame rate is your comp?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering Jumps Frames
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:00:06 pm

also, are you using any of the cc time effects, like cc widetime or cc time blend...

they use cached frames, which makes them fast, but they have a particular workflow that requires starting previews with the cti at the 1st frame and hitting the clear option at the top of the effect settings after any change you make.

i would even choose edit>purge all prior to hitting render from the render queue, just to make sure some cached frame doesn't show up where you don't want it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Jumps Frames
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:50:12 pm

Two common conditions that could cause your problem immediately come to mind.

First, you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering, and you shouldn't. It's rarely helpful and often harmful.

Second, you're running something OTHER than AE 10 (aka CS5), and you imported the wrong kind of footage, in which case the following still applies:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved