ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

airbrushing or retouching in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Heathcoteairbrushing or retouching in after effects
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:22:05 am

HI, wondering if anyone can help. Am doing some work on a bit of footage but there are large globs of makeup visible on an actor's face. I was wondering if there was anyway one could airbrush in after effects.

i have tried exporting a jpeg sequence into photoshop and retouching before importing back but the face patches flicker when i patch over the make up. I have also tried a mask with a bit of face static face footage from one of these retouched jpegs, this was a slightly more successful attempt but the shape of the face changes in diff areas so the motion track does fall short slightly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there another bit of software that might be better?

Much appreciated

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: airbrushing or retouching in after effects
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:32:11 am

Here's a little trick that may help.
Step 1- apply the "Remove Grain" filter, play with the parameters of the filter until you get a uniform looking skin.
Step 2- duplicate the layer and mask out the face- feather the mask so that it will blend in .
Step 3- add grain back to match the original.

You can also try Beauty Box- it pretty much does the same.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: airbrushing or retouching in after effects
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:44:29 pm

Play with settings like remove grain, blur, etc. on an adjustment layer until you get smooth skin (pretty much what Ted suggested), but rather than masking it to the face, you could try duplicating the footage layer, keying the skin tones out, and using that layer as a reverse track matte for the adjustment layer.

Or, as mentioned, you could get Beauty Box.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nicholas HeathcoteRe: airbrushing or retouching in after effects
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:11:42 pm

Cheers guys,

Really helped! Was quite obvious make up so had to use a combination of both as beauty box only takes it so far with out the guy looking a bit plasticy. Quite fun to play around with none the less!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved