ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Made less than 5MB of good quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hélène EhretMade less than 5MB of good quality
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:04:15 pm

Hello to all,

I post here because I have to export a component After Effects and finally obtain a file under 5MB, Very good. And that is where the problems begin. I have a 30MB Export, If I pass PAR Export QuickTime h264 uncompressed, And the quality is good.
However, I can not reduce the size of my file without losing much quality. I tried to move PAR Queue renderings, PAR export by restricting the flow a bit and tried all the options and I'm at an impasse. Do you have any advice for me ?

My file is in 16:9, 1024x576 and there are many important pictures and some videos.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Made less than 5MB of good quality
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:21:32 pm

You tell us nothing about the your delivery specifications other than a limit on the file size.

What about horizontal and vertical resolution or frame rate: can you compromise on them? What is the duration of this file?

Without this information we have no idea if what you ask is even possible within 5MB, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hélène EhretRe: Made less than 5MB of good quality
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:45:03 pm

My composition lasts 30 seconds and has an "integral" resolution, each vertical and horizontal pixel is took into account.
I don't know if that can help you...

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:08:12 pm

Do you have a need for using After Effects for this footage? If yes, then render out the HIGHEST QUALITY file you can, and used specialized compression software to convert the file.

If the answer is no, bring the footage into a specialized compression application and don't use AE.

But I have to tell you -- you won't be able to keep any quality if you are required to keep this 30-second video at its current size of 1024x768 AND keep the frame rate, which is probably 25 frames/second. You are probably asking the impossible for such a thing to look good at 5 MB.

You could reduce the image size. You could reduce the frame rate. You could reduce the quality of the image.

One of the engineers at my TV station put it this way: "When you compress video, you throw away information. So you have to ask yourself the kind of information and how much of it you want to throw away."

So what can you throw away in this file? Image Size? Frame rate? Image quality? Nothing? For a video that large, at that frame rate, and at that length of time, getting it to 5MB requires the use of magic wands.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Made less than 5MB of good quality
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:08:17 pm

I hope you're not exporting from After Effects but using the Render Queue instead.

Depending on which platform you are on, and what applications you have available, there are several options for optimizing file size and quality.

Understand this: any form of compression (other than RLE) will result in a compromise between file size and quality, it's inevitable when you are discarding data.

If you have Apple Compressor try rendering the After Effects file with no compression (Animation, highest quality) then passing it to Compressor for H264 rendering. You can preview the results and tweak the settings before submitting the job compression. I've found that Compressor, while slower, does a better job than Adobe Media Encoder in terms of file size / quality.

If you have Media Encoder you can also preview and tweak the settings before encoding.

The final file size depends entirely on the type of images, motion, color (i.e. large expanses of a single color compress well to small file sizes) and audio in the file.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:18:02 pm

...And here's another thought: If you need to keep the file size to 5MB or less, why not send several files? You can cut the existing file into shorter pieces, using less compression and retaining more image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Hélène EhretRe: Made less than 5MB of good quality
by on Dec 18, 2010 at 11:22:34 am

The best solution I have tried is to make a render with a 720*576 size and to limit the rate at 1000kb/s.
I tried to cut the sequence and to compress the different parts of it but it didn't work very well...
Maybe I used bad settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]