ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MTS file conversion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick LeighMTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:32:20 pm

I have a sony HDV camera that records in ACVHD and it stores it in the mts file format. I have read on here that AE doesn't play so nice with mts files so I am wondering what format I should be converting the files to so I can work with them in AE. I will be using Adobe Media Encoder to do this.

When I added these files to Media Encoder the default output was a f4v file and I used the PNG codec which I read somewhere on here from Dave L. Is this correct? Do you have any suggestions as to the best settings to use to do the conversion?

Another question I have is about the file format. My camera records the footage in 1440 x 1080 (1.33). My desired output will be 1920 x 1080(1). I tried using the 1920 settings on a file for the conversion just to test it out. The resulting file looked fine to me but I am wondering if I am going to run into problems it AE if I do this? Should I convert them using the same settings as my footage? The reason I ask is because I have a image overlay on top of my footage for the entire video and when I use the 1.33 PAR the image looks distorted a bit where when I use the 1.0 PAR it looks great.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

CS5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:39:16 pm

I see you have AE10, meaning that it isn't absolutely necessary to do a conversion to PNG; AE 10 handles long-gop files like that a whole lot better than earlier versions.

Working in a 1920x1080- comp isn't a problem, but since you only mention delivery resolution, it's tough to advise you on what to render out of AE. What's the next use for the files you render in AE?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: MTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:42:35 pm

I second everything Dave said. AE 10 (AKA CS5) works just fine with AVCHD files. You shouldn't have a problem. You may find that it works a bit faster with Quicktime PNG files, you might not. Anyway it's unlikely that you'll have screwy problems like you could get in version 9 (and Heaven help you if you tried it in version 8 or earlier).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nick LeighRe: MTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:50:59 pm

Well it is a hockey game that is about 50 mins long. I am going to need to compress it so it will be able to play on hte internet through our website but I will also be putting it on to DVD's for those players that are still living the dream and want to make their wives or moms watch them play.

Nick

CS5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:55:30 pm

If that's your intended output, you definitely don't need 1920x1080. DVD's maximum resolution is 720x480 and the most I'd recommend for web videos would be up to 1280x720, but that's only if you've got a nice amount of bandwidth to spare. (Now, you could just use YouTube or Vimeo and embed that on your site and you could do 1080, but most people don't have a 1080 screen to view it on anyway.)

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Nick LeighRe: MTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:21:23 pm

Ok thanks for the info on the output size.

Can I import my mts file that is 1440 x 1080(1.33) into a project that is 1920 x 1080(1) or is that going to mess with my pixels in my video. Again this is so my overlay image looks crisp rather than strecthed as it does in the 1440(1.33) project. The image is 1920 pixels wide and has a PAR of 1. Thanks for your time.

Nick

CS5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

by on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:45:54 pm

I would recommend making your composition the size of your intended final output.
However, if you want to work in the full resolution of your source footage, I would suggest doing it in a 1440x1080 comp. Just make sure that your other assets are being interpreted correctly (square pixels, etc.) and that you know how to use the aspect ratio correction switch on your comp window. Nothing should look stretched.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MTS file conversion
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:59:10 pm

Here's what to do:
  • In After Effects, work at 1280x720 (square pixels)
  • Render out a high-quality file. Include the audio. What video codec? Photo JPEG at 95%? (Good quality, reasonable size) PNG? (Lossless, huge file size) The choice is yours, depending on storage.
  • Import the resulting Render from AE into Adobe Media Encoder. Make TWO different video files: one 1280x720 w/sound for the web, one 720x480 for Widescreen DVD authoring in Encore, PLUS a compressed audio file (AC3?) for DVD authoring.

That should get you where you want to go.

I see Michael beat me to the punch on this; and that he likes 1440x1080 in AE, but I recommended 1280x720. I did so because it seems like you like square pixels and 1280x720 is one of the destination resolutions. It's actually six of one and a half-dozen of the other in terms of AE resolution. Either is fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

charlotte kaufmanRe: MTS file conversion
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:38:24 am

I have a related question, regarding MTS files.

1. Is it a problem that there is a redundancy in the naming of the .mts files, and that i will have several clips in the project with the same name? All the clips are organized into a folder structure based on date and roll, so i'm not worried about the name redundancy when i'm actually editing. I am worried that if the media gets disconnected Adobe won't know which clip to look for, and may try to reconnect the wrong clip with the same name. Does Adobe reconnect based only of file name, or does it also look at the path?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]