ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Difficult Workflow FCP - AE - SHAKE - AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan GassmannDifficult Workflow FCP - AE - SHAKE - AE
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39:26 am

Dear Friends
I just read myself a whole day through a lot of posts on this site, still I can t figure out the right solution for my problem. I m retiming material for a feature film to 24P (shot on 5D).

My Workflow

- I m exporting from FCP a Refrence File of the scene

- I m exporting it in AE CS 5 as a tiff sequence in 16 Bit (Seems to contain much more information, than the same frame exported from fcp, when I check them both in Photoshop)

- I m doing the retiming in Shake and want to export it as a Tiff Sequence 16 Bit.

- I want to check the length (Shake is missing some frames sometimes) in either FCP or AE. I know FCP is not able to handle 16bit. AE does and put the whole Film together

- I export the Film as a huge tiff Sequence from AE to give it to my grading in smoke.

My problem is now: Every tiffsequence I export from Shake is in 8 Bit (so the information is less, than what I put into shake). I can check the 16 Bit button in the global settings, but it doesn t seem to help.

I know about the Gamma on the monitor problems. My biggest concern is losing information, since the movie is shot quiet dark. I also know about the YUV RGB Issue, thats why I want to go mostly through AfterEffects, which seems to handle the conversion in a better way.

Can someone please comment on my workflow? I m quite new in the shake area and not used to write log files and stuff. So please be friendly...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Difficult Workflow FCP - AE - SHAKE - AE
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:57:51 pm

Skip going to AE, and export straight to Shake. I repeat: you don't need to go to AE for this process.

The only thing AE is doing for you is making your file sizes bigger. You gain no -- repeat NO -- additional quality by converting to a tiff sequence. The only reason to do it is for convenience or delivery specs.

Since a 5D's footage is 8-bit to begin with, 16-bit AE files don't gain you anything either.

Just import the footage into FCP, converting it to ProRes 422 along the way, and then export it as such if Shake will read it. You'll be just fine.

Here's the proper way to get 5D footage into FCP:

If you do it any other way, you're treading on thin ice.

And why use Shake in the first place? What did you do: shoot in the wrong frame rate, or something? Don't you know how to use Color in Final Cut Suite? And you can correct frame rates using Compressor. Shake is pretty much useless for you, unless you LIKE spending lots of money.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved