ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colorama

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Levin
Colorama
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:41:33 pm

Hi there!
I am beginner in after effects and so far, the most difficult thing to me was to understand the colorama effect. I’ve been trying to get instructions from the adobe official web site, but the information I found sounds very technical and it seems to comprehend a background unsderstanding that I don’t have. These are my questions:
What does it mean input and output colors?
Example:
???????? Get Phase From The color attribute to use as input. Choose Zero to use a color attribute from another layer. ??????????
??????Add Phase The second layer to use as input. To use only this layer as input, select Zero for Get Phase From; otherwise, both the Add Phase layer and the layer to which the effect is applied are used. You can choose the layer to which the effect is applied to add a second input attribute from the same layer.???????

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Colorama
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:17:11 am

Unfortunately there's not short cuts for this one- I'm afraid you will need to familiarize yourself with the terms and start playing with the plugin. Finding some tutorials would help also.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marcus Levin
on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:53:21 pm

Thanks Ted.

Yeah, I,ll try to find a tutorial.

I think once I understand terminology this plugin presents,will be easier to understand key color manipulation concepts.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:01:38 pm

The simplest way to understand Colorama is to make a Ramp on a solid and then apply Colorama and start playing with the parameters.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:05:21 pm

Also, there are tons of tutorials out there that use Colorama and they should also help. This Google search pulls up a bunch. And this custom AE search pulls up a lot of info too.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Marcus Levin
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:49:44 pm

I found one. It is called DESINTAGRATIOM by Andrew Kramer.

He applies it on a linear wippe effect to tint the image black and white.

First he sets the input to ALPHA (the image solig appear with the RGB colors on it). Then he changes the OUT PUT CYCLE to RAMP GREY.

My questions are:

Why he changes the INPUT TO ALPHA?

Why he choose RAMP GREY to make a MATTE?

This part appears at 3:11 min

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/disintegration/

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:13:08 pm

Colorama (as he mentions in the tutorial) maps colors from one color to another. Kinda like tint, but much more advanced.

He changes input to alpha because he wants the alpha of the layer to be what effects the color.

He makes it grey so that it's the colors he wants to effect the layer below it in a certain way.

Technically, he didn't use it as a matte at that point in the tutorial. You should read up on mattes though. Very handy info to know.

It seems like you're new to AE. I would highly recommend starting here. Some of the questions you're asking would be answered if you had a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of AE. This is the best (free!) resource I know of for new AE folks. It's a bunch of stuff put together specifically to build that important AE foundation to make things less frustrating for new users.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Marcus Levin
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:54:02 pm

Thank you very much Michael!

I'll look up at the links right away.

Regards!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]