ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

particle world mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Holderparticle world mask
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:41:27 pm

I have a black solid layer in my project that has a particle world effect, screen mode, over my other layers.
However, I cannot seem to figure out how to mask out the particles so that they only appear as a vignette around the edges of my composition.

I already created a dark vignette on another layer which worked fine, but why wont my particle layer accept the mask?

Return to posts index

Alan FloodRe: particle world mask
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:35:57 am

I ran into this problem before - didn't find an answer as to why particle world can't be masked but I did develop a simple solution to my problem. It might not be appropriate for what it is you're doing but hey, you never know :) It's really very simple - create an inverted vignette. Create a duplicate of your background layer and mask away the outer edges leaving yourself with a nicely feathered ellipse. You can then just throw this on top of your particle layer. Animating the mask on the duplicate layer works pretty much the same as if you were animating it on the particle layers itself so it might be an adequate solution for what you need :)

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: particle world mask
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:15:44 pm

Your technique works if there's only one background layer. What if his background is more than one? Or what if he wants text elements or footage below it too? A better solution would be to put a mask on a solid and use that solid as a track matte for your particle layer.

Or, you could borrow this advice from the AE help: "Some effects ignore masks on the layer to which they’re applied. To have such an effect operate on a masked layer, pre-compose the layer with the mask applied, and then apply the effect to the pre-composed layer."
The help page also includes a link to this helpful video.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael HolderRe: particle world mask
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:08:01 pm

I had about 5 layers below the particles that I didn't want masked.
I tried precomposing the layer with the particles, and it still didn't mask out.
So, I just created a new solid layer above the particle layer, opacity 0%, and precomposed just those two layers and it worked.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: particle world mask
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:46:00 pm

"I tried precomposing the layer with the particles, and it still didn't mask out."
That's because you forgot to tick the box to "move all attributes" to the new comp. If you precompose the layer, but leave the CC Particle World effect applied to the precomp instead of on the layer inside the precomp, the result will be the same. That's why when you precomposed two layers, it worked. Because it forces you to move all attributes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]