ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fusing Rotobrushed Action

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Beesems
Fusing Rotobrushed Action
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:41:27 am

Whoa, just deciding on a title for this post is hard.

I'm Sam, a film student from the Netherlands. I've been using CC as a troubleshooting resource for a long time, but haven't posted myself. That is, until now. I'm a big fan of the forums, by the way.

I want to make a 30 second short in which I have different instances of the same person walking around and interacting. Although I am familiar with rotoscoping/rotobrushing, I don't know how I would have these instances interact with eachother. I'd like to let instance A throw an object and have instance B catch it. Or have A hand B an object. All within the same shot, since I'm using locked camera's. Any idea's on how to achieve this?

I eagerly await your ideas!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fusing Rotobrushed Action
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:08:44 pm

You may have to rotobrush three items of three identical layers: throwing hand, ball in flight and catching hands.

Two things to keep in mind:
First, it may require additional rotoscoping of the rotobrushed and precomped
layers to get things to work properly. Second, I'm not all that certain how rotobrush will deal with motion blur, which you are bound to get at almost every point in this composite.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Fusing Rotobrushed Action
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:50:31 pm

[Sam Beesems] "Although I am familiar with rotoscoping/rotobrushing, I don't know how I would have these instances interact with eachother. I'd like to let instance A throw an object and have instance B catch it. Or have A hand B an object. All within the same shot, since I'm using locked camera's. Any idea's on how to achieve this?"

I think this will require careful blocking and shooting -- and I'd want this shot with your main actor and a stand-in for him or her to interact with. You'll definitely want to prepare a shot list ahead of time to make sure you get all the coverage you need.

You may want to bring an AE system on the shoot to do some rough composites with garbage masks on the footage as you're shooting to make sure you're getting what you need.

Keeping the camera locked down will make compositing all these plates together a lot easier.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]