ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE filling up my SSD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna walkerAE filling up my SSD
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:12:51 pm

My Mac OSX installation is on a relatively small SSD (30GB). But i have some other "normal drives" in my pc where i store all my data, the SSD is only for the program installations and my OS.

In after effects i have @ Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > every thing changed to my other drives, i also have enabled disk caching to my other drive.

After Effects successfully rendered a tga sequence to a .mov file (after rendering size 3gb for 11 secs of video).
When i import the .mov file and play with it (scrubbing and ram previewing) AE fills up my main drive and when its completely full it start throwing errors at me that my drive is full, then mac osx disables/puts in sleep mode the AE proces.
When i quit AE in a couple of seconds my main drive starts emptying up and then 1gb is free.

I have 4gb of ram in my pc.(hackintosh)

Anyone knows why after effects is doing this?
How to fix this problem?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE filling up my SSD
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:11:58 pm

the os will start to disk cache when it runs out of ram too, so it may be that osx is causing the problem.

try giving more ram to 'other apps' (which includes the system) in ae's memory prefs... i'd shoot for 2gb. also, if you have multiprocessing enabled, disable it.

i'd also say that you really need to try and free up more that 1gb of space on the main drive. try trashing the extra languages and print drivers that you don't need.

you might also look into software that will remove any powerpc versions of universal binaries that may be on your system -- universal binary apps often install both powerpc and intel versions of the software despite only needing one. removing the unnecessary version can free up a lot of space, however there can be some negatives. some updates to an affected app may not install if one version is missing, but that just means you need to reinstall the original, do the update and then remove the powerpc version again.

if you are a little daring, search for 'lipo universal binary' and you'll find ways to remove the powerpc versions using terminal. note, you'll also need the osx developer tools installed.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved