ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any way to open AE5 project in AE4?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan UnderhillAny way to open AE5 project in AE4?
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12:48 pm

Hi there,

I have a bunch of servers in house here that run Windows Server 2003. We use them as render nodes for a variety of 3D apps and until recently AE4. Recently we upgraded to AE5 and when it is done installing it throws a message upon launch that says the we need a newer OS to run it. Funny that all the latest version of our 3D apps such as C4D, 3DS, Maxwell, MODO all run fine on Win Server 2003, but I guess AE5 will not anymore.

We are going to be receiving files from a collaborator that are AE5 files. Is there any way to use them in AE4 or have them saved in such as a way to be useful in AE4 or is there simply no backwards compatibility?

If not, then I guess I'm going to have to upgrade the OS on our servers so that AE5 can work. These are Dell PowerEdge servers and they will support Win Server 2008 and do not claim to support any other flavor of Windows. Does anyone use AE5 on Windows Server 2008 to confirm that it will work on that OS? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Any way to open AE5 project in AE4?
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:23:23 pm

my best guess on cs5 not running on your servers, is that they are not running a 64-bit os (cs5 requires 64-bit)....

however, you cannot open a cs5 project in cs4, you can copy/paste values from one to the other if you have both running on the same machine, but that is often impractical.

if you do upgrade to cs5, note that in addition to the os needing to be 64-bit, any 3rd party plugins that you have will need to be 64-bit, as will any codecs that are used in footage within your projects.

and of course, with a 64-bit os, you'll need 64-bit versions of any drivers for necessary hardware (most of those should be easy to find now-a-days).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dan UnderhillRe: Any way to open AE5 project in AE4?
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:40:48 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. My Win Server 2003 is definitely 64-bit, along with the version of AE5 that I installed. Everything goes fine for the installation, but when I launch AE5 I then get the error about it not being able to run on this older OS. All of the other software I'm running is 64 bit too, and they are the latest versions of various 3D apps and they run fine.

If I could copy/paste from AE5 to AE4 then I would have no need to do it because I would obviously have AE5 running in the first place. Anyone here running Win Server 2008 with AE5 and can confirm it works?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Any way to open AE5 project in AE4?
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:18:22 am

Windows 2008 is not officially supported, and I haven't run across anyone running this configuration.

From the system requirements:
64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7

I'd also refer you to this thread on the Adobe forums, mentioning some potential pitfalls in trying to run AE CS5 on Window Server 2008:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2815228

Even if it does install and run, you'll have nowhere to turn for support if there are any problems.

[Dan Underhill] "If I could copy/paste from AE5 to AE4 then I would have no need to do it because I would obviously have AE5 running in the first place."

I think that Kevin was suggesting using the copy/paste trick to create a CS4 project on a supported workstation (or have your collaborator do this for you), then using the CS4 project for your network render on your Win2003 machines.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Any way to open AE5 project in AE4?
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:30:09 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think that Kevin was suggesting using the copy/paste trick to create a CS4 project on a supported workstation (or have your collaborator do this for you), then using the CS4 project for your network render on your Win2003 machines."

yep... it's not an elegant solution, and not knowing anything about the project's complexity, it's hard to say if it would be worthwhile. but when you factor what will be involved with upgrading, it may...

or, i suppose you could just go with out the extra render nodes for a bit.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]