ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Just starting with After Effects CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew KaschJust starting with After Effects CS5
by on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:09:52 pm

Hey guys,

So I decided I need to learn After Effects so I aquired the new CS5 version. So my big question is, where on the internet is the best place to get started with tutorials for a newbie like myself? Also looking for any good online communities who share templates and plug-ins and the like to help get a really good grasp of the things I can do with this software.

Any advice on where to start? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Just starting with After Effects CS5
by on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:27:30 pm

I recommend that people start here and work their way through the materials on this page:
"Getting started with After Effects"

There are lot of good tutorials and many helpful people here on Creative COW, so you're already off to a good start by coming here. After you've gone through the basic materials that I pointed to, you'll be ina good position to ask specific questions and get focused answers here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Just starting with After Effects CS5
by on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:08:14 pm

Todd has thoughtfully assembled a lot of freebie training in that link, and it's very helpful.

I'm going to make a suggestion that you have to pay for, but it's worth it. It's called, "Adobe After Effects CS5 Learn By Video" from Peachpit Press.

Instead of having a bunch of rarely-related tutorials -- some with project and footage files, most not -- this takes you from the very start with the basics right up to nifty and complex projects, complete with the projects and footage you see in the videos.

It's all the training you need to get up & running in a hurry. I'm taking it from the very beginning, as if I know NOTHING about AE. I've already picked up a few neat tricks I had forgotten all about; you tend to get in a rut when you work, and this can snap you out of it.

If you're familiar with the basics, there's a Jumpstart section that gets you going quickly.

This baby's worth the dough.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Just starting with After Effects CS5
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:54:58 pm

I would echo Dave's praise of the link Todd gave. It is an excellent free resource. And, as Todd mentioned, the Creative COW is a great community and was my first AE home.
Do not forget to go through the AE manual. It's much better than any manual for any other software I've used and easily searchable once you know the terms to use. (Which you'll begin to pick up by going through the resources Todd linked.)
When you're going through the link Todd gave you, at some point you will end up at, they've got a lot more than just the basic tutorials to which Todd's document links you. They have over 100 more advanced tutorials and a rather active forum community as well.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved