ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keep After Effects Resolution After Export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zevie Tannenbaum
Keep After Effects Resolution After Export
on Dec 11, 2010 at 5:58:58 pm

I created a comp in After Effects with a resolution of 1680 X 1028. Problem is, I'm working on a timeline in Final Cut with a resolution of 720 X 480. When I import my After Effects video into FCP, the resolution gets downgraded to 720 X 480.

If I create a new timeline within FCP and drag the video in, the resolution is untouched... Anyone know how to export my video from After Effects to FCP, without loosing any resolution?

Thanks,
Zevie

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Keep After Effects Resolution After Export
on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:21:21 pm

You question confuses me. You ask how you "export to FCP, without losing any resolution", but you also seem to already realize that it's what you're doing inside of FCP that's causing the problem.

If you render and export an movie at, say, 1620x1028, that's all that you need to worry about as far as After Effects is concerned. If you want to keep and use all of those pixels within FCP, then you'll have to work with a sequence that is at least that large.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:24:21 pm

Sorry about that, I meant within After Effects. If I work with a sequence that large in FCP, I don't loose any resolution. Can I export from After Effects in size (720 X 480), without loosing quality?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:30:23 pm

What do you mean by "losing quality"?

If you export a movie with dimensions of 720x480 from After Effects, it will not have the same number of pixels (i.e., same amount of image information) as a 1620x1028 composition. Is this what you're asking?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:00:03 pm

Yeah, is there anyway I can export into 720 X 480 without loosing quality? I know it doesn't really make any sense, but do you understand what I'm asking? I hope I was clear...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 11, 2010 at 9:08:58 pm

[Zevie Tannenbaum] "...is there anyway I can export into 720 X 480 without loosing quality? I know it doesn't really make any sense..."

You're right about it not making any sense, because it doesn't. You're talkin' jibberish, pal.

If your final destination is 720x480 in FCP, you gain NOTHING by working in a bigger AE comp. Not a thing. Kapiche? Zip. Zilch. You should be working at 720x480.

AE has NTSC DV comp presets for both 4x3 and 16x9. Now, to save yourself some grief, just use one of them and nest your big comp inside it. You can then scale the nested comp to fit.

Next comes the way you can really preserve image quality: don't render in DV. DV's just about the worst codec there is! It treats carefully-crafted AE work the way a baby treats a diaper.

If you run AE & FCP on the same machine, you can render in ProRes 422, which is a great codec for Mac users. Incidentally, to preserve image quality of DV video, you should cut it in a ProRes 422 edit timeline in FCP as well. Or at least DVCPro 50, if you're tight on storage. DVCPro 50 is miles better than plain DV, ProRes 422 is light years better that plain DV.

If you run AE on a different machine than your FCP machine, you won't have access to ProRes 422, but don't despair: render in Quicktime's PNG codec (not a PNG image sequence), and life will still be good -- PNG is lossless. Yeah, you'll have to render in FCP, but that's no big deal.

Okay, now repeat after me: "Larger-than-necessary AE comps don't make images look any better in FCP". Got it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Dec 11, 2010 at 9:11:25 pm

Okay, I got it... Thanks a lot for the help!

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:08:18 am

Sorry to bother again. I followed your instructions. I made a new comp, 720x480 and then pre-comped my original comp and then dragged the pre-comp into my NTSC Comp and resized it to fit. Then when I export it using ProRes 422 there is a large drop in quality...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]