ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New problem with 3:2 Pulldown added files (Kevin or Dave?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Foreman
New problem with 3:2 Pulldown added files (Kevin or Dave?)
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:38:44 pm

I had the problem a couple of days ago with the mixed frame rates (60i in 24p) and decided to follow the advice of adding pulldown to the 24p footage and finishing in 60i.
A couple of years ago when we first began working on this project, my (incorrect) solution was just to drop all the 24p footage into a 60i timeline, because i was operating under the mistaken assumption that FCP would add the pulldown "on the fly" during export. Not sure where I got that notion. I could see when stepping through the timeline that every 4th or 5th frame was being repeated, but when we played back the sequence we both agreed that the repeated frames were visually imperceptible. It's only now that I'm finishing the dvd, that I had begun to worry about the overall integrity of the project, and that a more professional solution to the issue was needed - hence my recent post.
So I did as recommended, bringing the original 24p files into AE, dropping them into the Render Queue, and rendering them out as Lower Field first with a WWSSW pulldown pattern. I chose that pulldown pattern based on a post I had read in the LA FCP user group on broadcast specs.
The resulting file looks like I expected it to in Quicktime Player, with visible interlacing. When I step through frame by frame, nothing is repeated. It's the same in the FCP viewer. The problem is when I drop the file into a matching specs sequence, and when I re-import the file into AE (footage interpreted for lower field) and create a comp. Once again, every 4th or 5th frame is repeated, but visually imperceptible when played back.
So what did I gain through the process? Why the repeated frames again? Is this just how FCP and AE display pulldown added footage? Or did I do something wrong? Could I save myself the trouble of all of the conversion and just go with my original jerry-rigged solution?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: New problem with 3:2 Pulldown added files (Kevin or Dave?)
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:51:42 pm

[Joey Foreman] "I did as recommended, bringing the original 24p files into AE, dropping them into the Render Queue, and rendering them out as Lower Field first with a WWSSW pulldown pattern"

There are a couple of fishy things in that statement:
What was the frame rate of those "original 24p files"? What does the info panel in AE's project window tell you?
Why didn't you add the footage to a comp -- thus creating a 23.976 comp if the frame rate is right -- and then add the comp to the AE Render Queue?

[Joey Foreman] "It's the same in the FCP viewer. The problem is when I drop the file into a matching specs sequence, and when I re-import the file into AE (footage interpreted for lower field) and create a comp. Once again, every 4th or 5th frame is repeated, but visually imperceptible when played back. "

What's this "FCP viewer" nonsense? Don't you know that the only surefire way to judge the quality of anything in FCP is to use a VIDEO MONITOR? You work in FCP, you need a monitor. End of story.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: New problem with 3:2 Pulldown added files (Kevin or Dave?)
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:59:53 pm

The original rate was 23.976, and was thus reflected in the Footage Panel. I bypassed creating a comp, hoping to avoid the CS4 gamma shift, which I did.
You're right about the monitor, and I will test it with one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]