Dynamic Link Problem - PP to AE - Video Transitions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoph Müller-Diehl
Dynamic Link Problem - PP to AE - Video Transitions
on Dec 10, 2010 at 11:07:30 am

Hi everyone!

I'm using AE and PP CS5 x64.
According to the Adobe Help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabf53ab041041081290f-7fbb.html) copying clips from the premiere timeline or using dynamic link to open a PP sequence in AE should result in having the standard PP video-transition (Cross-Dissolve, shortcut: Ctrl-D) converted into opacity keyframes. At least on my system, this is not the case.
When I import the project into AE the layers overlap according to the length of the transition but no keyframes are added. I came across this problem with AE CS4 already but now I have a project where it really is an issue, since it is containing more than 150 cross-dissolves, I don't want to recreate every single dissolve by placing the keyframes manually.

I already tried installing the suite on another pc but the problem persists. Is there a way to configure the behaviour of dynamic link or did I miss something?

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
Christoph

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
Re: Dynamic Link Problem - PP to AE - Video Transitions
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:45:47 pm

Hi, not sure what's happening, but have you seen my tutorial in premiere pro about dynamic link from the pp workflow? This may deal with some dynamic link issues.

Hope this helps
Andrew

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Christoph Müller-Diehl
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:16:37 pm

Thank you for the Quick reply! I'll Watch the Tutorial As Soon As possible.

Return to posts index

Christoph Müller-Diehl
on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:36:00 pm

Hi Andrew!

I now had the time to watch your tutorial. It is well made and easy to understand. Sadly it didn't cover my workflow (PP->AE->Render) or the specific problem I have.

What should happen is the following:
In PP I create a sequence that contains only 2 clips with a standard cross-dissolve transition between them (PP keyboard-shortcut: Ctrl-D). I then save and close the PP-project. Now I open up AE and import the PP-project using dynamic link. A composition is created from the PP-sequence that contains the 2 clips as 2 layers. The layers are overlapping for the length of the transition, and the upper layer should contain opacity keyframes going from 100% at the beginning of the overlap to 0% at the end of the overlap to recreate the dissolve-transition from PP.

To clarify what I mean, I attached 2 screenshots of what it looks like in PP, what it looks like in AE and what it should look like in AE...

I'm using AE since version 5.5, PP since version 6.5 and the dynamic link features since CS3 Production Premium. With AE CS3 opening a PP-project with a sequence that contained the standard video-transition resulted in a AE-composition with overlapping layers and opacity keyframes set to replicate the transition as explained before and can be seen in the first screenshot. Since CS4 this functionality seemed to be gone but according to the official help-page from Adobe (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabf53ab041041081290f-7fbb.html) it should work in CS5. Since it doesn't, I thought maybe there is something that needs to be configured for it to work. Otherwise it might be a bug in the suite or a problem that is specific to my machines.

Any help is, again ;-), very much appreciated.

TIA
Christoph Müller-Diehl

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:06:27 am

One thing to get straight first:
Copying and pasting between After Effects and Premiere Pro has nothing to do with Dynamic Link. They are entirely unrelated features.

When you copy and paste between After Effects and Premiere Pro, a conversion must occur in which the elements in one application are converted to their nearest equivalent in the other application. This conversion is far from perfect, and not all kidns of elements can be converted.

When you use Dynamic Link, a "headless" version of one application runs in the background to render frames with perfect fidelity and serve those to the other application. Therefore, there isn't a concern of some features being converted and others not. The downside is that it requires this extra background instance of the other application to be running, which can be a drag on performance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Christoph Müller-Diehl
on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:25:37 pm

Thanks for the support. I realised before, that copy & paste and dynamic link are not the same subject, but according to your help file (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSbaf9cd7d26a2eabf53ab041041081290f-7fbb.html) copying clips with transitions from Premiere to After Effects CS5 should result in the following conversion:

"Video and audio transitions -> Opacity keyframes (Cross dissolve only) or solid-color layers"

and below the table there is this note:

"Note: When you import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects, features are converted in the same manner as they are converted when copying from Premiere Pro to After Effects."

I had this exact situation (Standard-Videotransition from Premiere to After Effects) a couple of times already and with Premiere and After Effects CS3, it worked flawlessly. Since CS4 it doesn't work anymore though, so I thought that at some point there is a possibility to configure the behaviour of dynamic link or the conversion between the programs when using copy & paste.

Regards
Christoph Müller-Diehl

Return to posts index

Christoph Müller-Diehl
on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:55:58 pm

...and sorry! I didn't mean dynamic link, I meant copy&paste or opening a PP-Project in AE.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 8, 2011 at 3:12:11 am

I've confirmed that this is a bug.

When After Effects is converting the Premiere Pro assets, it's looking for changes in the Opacity property to do the Cross Dissolve conversion. Premiere Pro changed the way that the Cross Dissolve was implemented, so there's no Opacity information being passed along unless there's a keyframe on the Opacity property. So, After Effects isn't getting any information about opacity changes.

The workaround is to add an Opacity keyframe to each clip that you're bringing over. If you add a keyframe at the current time by clicking the little diamond for the property in the Effect Controls window, it doesn't change the value at that time, so this doesn't actually change any opacity information. Then, when you bring the assets into After Effects, After Effects "sees" the opacity information, including the cross-dissolves.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Christoph Müller-Diehl
on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:13:45 pm

Thanks alot for that workaround!

Cheers
Christoph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]