ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Maya Scene exported to After Effects too small for Lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac WolframMaya Scene exported to After Effects too small for Lights
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:58:46 pm

I have an exported scene from maya with a handful of locators (nulls) and a camera. in after effects the nulls properly line up with my background plate. That part works.

I'm trying to add a volumetric light and flares in AE. The problem when I add lights is that my world scene in after effects is too small. After I parent a light to a null and get it in the proper size for the scene. It is too small, it isn't visible.

Is there anyway to scale up the nulls and camera in after effects? or is there anyway to improve the export out of maya so it is larger in AE?

Thanks.

Attached is an image, the little red dots that almost look in the camera are all my nulls.

Who doesn't fall, cannot rise.

Return to posts index

Christopher R. GreenRe: Maya Scene exported to After Effects too small for Lights
by on Dec 8, 2010 at 9:45:25 pm

[Isaac Wolfram] "Is there anyway to scale up the nulls and camera in after effects? or is there anyway to improve the export out of maya so it is larger in AE?"

There are 3 things you can do.

1) As far as I know, you can change the units/scale settings in Maya. If you don't have access to that, ...

2) You can create expressions to multiply all the positions, thus expanding the world. You could have a controller layer with a scale control that multiplies all the positions 'outward'. I've done this and it works. You could keep the project like that, or then, for all those layers, do a 'convert expressions to keyframes' and, for all the non-animated (static) layers, delete the keyframes, and delete the expressions for those and for the animated stuff. What you then have is a scaled up scene in ae. You can also expand the scale of objects similarly if you need to.

3) Hack the ma file. If this idea freaks you out a little but you'd like to try it, send me the file and I'll give it a shot for you. Shouldn't take long for me to make a hacked version and send it back to you. If that interests you, send me an email at crgreen [at] crgreen dot com.

good luck!

-cg

Return to posts index

Jayson AndersonRe: Maya Scene exported to After Effects too small for Lights
by on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:11:17 pm

Hey Guys.. Just wanted to share with you my sucess exporting camera and locators to AE.. If you been having issues getting your locators to line up properly.. take a look at where is the pivot point.. ya pivot point shud be dead center of your locators..Most tuts i have seen only just point snap a few locators n it works for them.. but if you duplicating like 100s of locators make sure u group the locator to itself first and move the pivot of the group.. im assuming ppl are using the duplicate special n duplicating along translation or rotation.. then go to hierarchy selection mode and select all your group and go to edit ungroup.. AE makes a mess of the group node.. and also optimize scene size afterwards.. it will clean up your scene of dead nodes..and as usually bake ya animation like the tut say n etc.. also u dont have to change ya measurement as well. it worked for me in cm.. (centimeters) I really this helps anybody who is having the same frustrating issue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]