ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiprocessor problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Perez
Multiprocessor problems
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:40:31 pm

hi, i have 6gb of ram, and a quad processor, and in the options i cannot make after effects CS5 even use 2 processors... what am i doing wrong?
Settings:
Installed Ram 6gb
Ram reserved for other applications: 0GB
Ram available for After effects 6GB
Render multipole Frames: ON
Installed CPU: 4
CPU reserved for other applications: 0
Ram allocations: 0,75GB
Actual CPUS that will be used: 0

then i get a message in the info panel saying: Insufficient RAM, Multiprocessing disabled.

What´s wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Multiprocessor problems
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:52:43 pm

[Glen Perez] "What´s wrong?"

Sorry, sir, but you simply don't have enough RAM to make multiprocessing really work effectively in AE. Not by a long shot.

That's not a joke: AE is the ultimate RAM hog. For now, you'll just have to leave multiprocessing turned off.

Consider this: at work I have a dual quad-core Mac Pro, with 8 GB RAM. I wouldn't even think of using multiprocessing. At home, I just got a new dual quad-core machine.... but at home I have 24 GB RAM. NOW I can use multiprocessing.

So what's the threshold? I'd say 12 GB at the absolute minimum. 16 GB would be a lot better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:59:40 pm

wow things have changed...mmm well hows id the price of ddr2 these days?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:23:14 pm

I got 24 GB RAM from an outfit called Crucial. You can download an app that will match the RAM to your particular system... prices will vary, but mine set me back about $1k.

I also had a good buddy who's an IT Lady do the RAM selection and installation; as thanks, I'm taking her and her husband out to dinner. In my mind, it's well worth it to know it's done properly.

I'm just a user, y'know?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 8, 2010 at 12:11:32 am

more ram would be better, but i think you should be able to get mp running with 6gb and 4 cores... you might check out todd's blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

he lists configuration suggestions for 4 and 8gb.

i have 16gb ram and 16-cores (dual quad-cores with hyper threading), i've found leaving 6gb for other apps and 1gb per cpu seems to give me the best performance. despite ae saying it will use 8 cores, i can see it using all 16, so that info is a little misleading. when i increase ram per cpu, i can see less cpu activity (watch activity moniror or task manager to view cpu levels).

also, never set the ram to leave for other apps to less than the minimum necessary for your os... and honestly, if you want good performance you should leave a lot more than that, otherwise the os will start using disk caching which will really hurt performance.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:56:24 pm

From the research that I have done it seems that 2gb of ram per core is the sweet spot for a Mac Pro.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:51:38 pm

i have another problem and it is that with my 6gb i can only ram render a few frames in any project, and in my laptop with 4gb i can render 3 times more frames than in my desktop... whats wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:01:55 pm

[Glen Perez] "i can only ram render a few frames in any project, and in my laptop with 4gb i can render 3 times more frames than in my desktop... whats wrong?"

Based on the facts contained in the quote above, this reply is as good as any: the copy of AE on your 6GB machine doesn't like you any more. What did you do to make it angry?

We don't know about any other applications you may have open. We don't know if it's an SD / HD difference. We don't know if it's a frame rate difference. We don't know if you have big, huge stills on one project and straight SD video in the other. We don't know how you have your memory and processors allocated, a big deal in AE 10.

They're all factors in an accurate diagnosis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:14:21 pm

q9550 quad core machine
6gb RAM
HD raptors
8800GT gfx
w7 64 just installed, no apps running

is an HD project, can RAM preview only 6 frames... quarter quality

Laptop is a 4GB, dual core machine,w7 64, and i open the same project in both machines... i can render like 4 seconds on the SAME PROJECT at quarter quality...

theres something really wrong here...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:32:10 pm

Uh-huh. And you have memory/processor allocations set up HOW?

Have you seen the latest recommendations from Adobe?

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:47:30 pm

Installed RAM: 6 GB
RAM reserved for other applications: 2 GB
and i have disabled multiprocessing...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:02:14 pm

That sounds about right. I'm wondering if there are any plugins for AE included in your graphics card's drivers. If there are, I recommend removing them. At the same time, check to see if there are any updates for your drivers.

I'm not particularly good at identifying manufacturers just from the model numbers of their products, so this is a suggestion from the realm of AJA driver-induced weirdness in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:13:46 pm

dave, thanks for your interest, i found the solution in another webpage... i was blocking dynamic link manager in my firewall, now i can render multiprocessor and AE uses all the RAM.. im happy ;D
and again, thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:28:56 pm

Glad you found a solution, and especially glad that wrote back with it.
You might consider posting the solution in the other thread(s) you started, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Glen Perez
on Dec 10, 2010 at 8:25:21 pm

ok, i will do it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]