ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects media files location

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Holson
After Effects media files location
on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:01:25 pm

Just learning AE and I need to clear space on my hard drive to render 50min of footage that has BCC Up Rez filter on it. Avid has OMFI files, what is the file type for AE? I tried to render the footage and it didn't finish due to lack of space, so I want to remove the old render files and try to render again.

I guess have another question to go along with that. I'm editing this footage on Premiere Pro for the HD. Is it best to render it in AE or Pro? If AE is the answer is it best to render it as a QT or AVI, etc. to bring it over to Pro? Original footage was .avi from mini DV.

Sorry it's a long question.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects media files location
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:36:21 pm

[Brian Holson] "Just learning AE and I need to clear space on my hard drive to render 50min of footage that has BCC Up Rez filter on it. Avid has OMFI files, what is the file type for AE?"

After Effects doesn't make render files in the same way that an editing application does.

You may want to clear out your caches, but I'd be surprised if they are as large as you are expecting. See this manual page for Caches: RAM cache, disk cache, and media cache.

Since you're new to After Effects, I recommend you read Getting started with After Effects. AE is a very broad and deep application, and it's really hard to just jump right in and be productive. Once you've spent some time mastering the fundamentals, though, you'll be able to produce good work and learn new techniques very quickly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brian Holson
Re: After Effects media files location
on Dec 8, 2010 at 9:45:31 pm

Thanks Walter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>