ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Enhancing the film burn effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Enhancing the film burn effect
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:46:50 pm

AE7.0P:

The "Film Burn" effect is nice, but I'd like to add a white hot glow to just the edges of the 'burn' as they evolve and grow (or shrink).

How would I get a nice glowing edge there? I can't use the alpha channel, since the layer (a logo) already has an existing alpha and I don't want that to have glow added to its edges.

Thanks!

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Arjen Abbestee
Re: Enhancing the film burn effect
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:51:36 pm

Create a solid and apply the same effect on that. Then use it's alpha to create the glow.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:00:10 pm

I'd create a black to white Burn film precomp, then use it as a luma matte (or inverted luma matte) on the logo in your main composition.

Duplicate the Burn film precomp within the main comp, and apply Find Edges (with Invert if necessary). Apply blurs, glows, or transfer modes as necessary.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:21:01 pm

Would this remain exclusive to the NEW edges that the Film Burn effect creates, and leave the pre-existing edges alone?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:03:52 am

[Eric Chard] "Would this remain exclusive to the NEW edges that the Film Burn effect creates, and leave the pre-existing edges alone?"

Yes, because it'd be detecting the edges on a full-raster grayscale comp which does not contain anything from the original logo at all. I didn't mention this in my original post, but you'll also have to grab the alpha from the logo and re-apply it to the edges layer, by either duplicating the logo layer and using it as an alpha matte for your edges layer, or with the Set matte effect (or possibly Preserve transparency, but this isn't appropriate for all comps).

To try to sum it up, I'm suggesting creating a grayscale comp which uses the Burn film effect to go from a full-frame black solid to a full-frame white solid. You'll use this as luma matte to transition on/off your original logo. You'll also use this separately as the base for the Find edges effect.

You'll have 3 precomps: one for your logo, one for the Burn film transition, and one with the Burn film edges. The logo comp uses the transition comp as a luma matte, and the edges comp uses the logo comp as an alpha matte.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]