ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera traks feel 'sticky' with panning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie NelsonCamera traks feel 'sticky' with panning
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 3:05:44 pm

I'm creating a pan but it feels a tiny bit sticky on playback as if the machine is not doing the right frame rate even though it is. Is this my imagination? I've added motion blur but not sure if there's anything I can do. I'm thinking it's just what happens. Much slower or faster then you can get away with it but this medium speed seems to create a sticky flow.

Any suggestions on removing the feeling it's sticking?

<a href="">Here's the movie</a>

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Camera traks feel 'sticky' with panning
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:55:26 pm

that's one crazy pan! well, you have to choose between pan speeds, blur, and framerate. You get to pick 2. You need a LOT more blur. And why is the motion flickery?(turn off opengl for rendering) did you use AE's motion blur? try setting it waaaay higher. and try cc force motion or timewarp's speed 100% pixel shutter.

once you put stuff into flash, it goes down to around 15fps. make sure that you use sorenson squeeze's smooth set to max. it will interpolate playback to 30fps.

here's how to use cc force motion and pixel shutter

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Camera traks feel 'sticky' with panning
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:50:39 pm

More motion blur would help on a pan like this. It also feels like you might have a couple abrupt speed changes there. I can definitely feel a keyframe where it slows down at the end. You should make sure any extra keyframes in your camera path have a smooth speed curve. You might want to consider changing any middle keyframes to "rove across time" and just adjust the speed beziers at the start and finish.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved