ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Tracking?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renee MatthewsAfter Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 1:57:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to blur out names on jerseys for some sports footage. This is multiple names on jerseys in the same frames, with different levels of zoom.

I've seen a bunch of tutorials on tracking, etc - but none say how I can do multiple blurs in the same frame, multiple tracking, etc.

Can someone please enlighten me on how to do this? Do I need to create a new null object and/or new null layers/copies? I'm very confused on how to go about this and would really appreciate some help!

Thanks

- Jennifer

Return to posts index

Christopher R. GreenRe: After Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:36:16 am

[Renee Matthews] "Can someone please enlighten me on how to do this?"

Methodically! Seriously, though, you should start by determining how many tracked objects there are, how they interact/disappear/etc., then make a solid (which can be comp size, or maybe a little larger of largest blurred object in frame) that will act as your proto-blurrer. By this I mean a semi-transparent solid (named something like "blur-0") that you keep intact and duplicate for each tracking job (each blurred object). Duplicating it should name the duplicate "blur-1", the next "blur-2", etc.
So, you duplicate the proto-blurrer, and this will be an adjustment layer -- but not yet! Keep it a normal solid for now ...
So you start with your first tracked object, actually name the tracker "1" or something, keep a log of each. When that track is done, you 'apply' the track to the appropriate blurrer, then check to make sure it sticks to the object in frame. You may have to adjust size/anchor point of the solid. Then make the layer 100% opacity and turn it into an adjustment layer and apply whatever obscuration fx to the adjustment layer. Repeat for each track.
This is, of course, a quick overview of a (one) process. Season to taste.

Some objects may be tricky the way they scale, distort, disappear, etc., and you may need to separate some because of the way they interact/disappear, and you may have to do quite a bit of tweaking and adjusting. Being methodical and keeping a log of what goes where will help.

-crg

Return to posts index

Renee MatthewsRe: After Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:08:26 am

Thanks for the response!

That all sounds foreign to me unfortunately :(

- Not sure how to make a solid.

I wish there was a video tutorial about this or something that I could follow along with. I have 0 experience with AE - just simple cutting and stuff in Premiere. :(

Really appreciate the help though thank you

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: After Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:11:23 pm

"Not sure how to make a solid"

With all due respect Renee, if you do not know how to make a solid in AE, then you should not be asking complex questions like the one you have asked. It sounds like you need to tackle the fundamentals of AE before going on a forum and asking people to do your work.

Hate to sound like a jerk, but Christopher took some time to give you a well-informed solution, and you kind of wasted his time.

My suggestion would be to go through the AE manual, read some books, and do as many tutorials as you can find on the COW and other sources. I don't want to turn you off from posting questions on the COW, but if you don't know the very basic fundamentals, then don't post such a complex question.

Good luck to you,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Renee MatthewsRe: After Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 10, 2010 at 9:12:34 am

Guys, I definitely appreciate the advice but I don't have the time to learn the ins and outs of premiere for a one time project that's time sensitive.

Kevin - No offense but if I have 0 experience with AE then how does one differentiate the complexity between different tasks?

Tracking one moving object and blurring it was extremely easy as I picked up on it within 15 minutes. I would assume doing this with multiple objects would be a matter of replicating, not mission impossible.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects Tracking?
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:20:02 pm

[Renee Matthews] "I wish there was a video tutorial about this or something that I could follow along with. I have 0 experience with AE - just simple cutting and stuff in Premiere. :("

There's a lot about After Effects that you'll have to learn before tracking, masking, and blurring will make sense to you. AE is a very broad and deep application, and it's really hard to just jump right in and be productive. Once you've spent some time mastering the fundamentals, though, you'll be able to produce good work and learn new techniques very quickly.

Since you're new to After Effects, I recommend you read Getting started with After Effects (link).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]