ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particles form a shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Stucky
Particles form a shape
on Dec 6, 2010 at 6:47:37 am

I want to create a hollow sphere of particles in After Effects, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this even with Trapcode Particular. Basically, i want a single layer of particles arranged in 3D space so that they form a ball and i want to be able to control them so i can make the ball expand and shrink in size by moving these particles further or closer apart. It seems like AE should have a way of doing this without having to orient and keyframe individual particles.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Particles form a shape
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:29:46 am

[Daniel Stucky] "I want to create a hollow sphere of particles in After Effects, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this even with Trapcode Particular. Basically, i want a single layer of particles arranged in 3D space so that they form a ball and i want to be able to control them so i can make the ball expand and shrink in size by moving these particles further or closer apart. It seems like AE should have a way of doing this without having to orient and keyframe individual particles. "

There are many ways to do this.

You're the second person in a couple days to ask about doing this with Particular -- see this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/991258

To move the particles in and out, I think you'll have to slow down Particular's time factor, then pre-compose and use time remapping.

A non-particle system option for arranging and controlling a lot of layers in 3D space is Red Giant's Planespace. You might combine this with AE's auto-orientation to get a similar effect as above, but with more control over the arrangement of the "particles."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Daniel Stucky
Re: Particles form a shape
on Dec 6, 2010 at 4:49:32 pm

Thank you very much. This helps a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>