ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

SD footage scaled in a HD comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew RissSD footage scaled in a HD comp
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 3:24:56 pm

I have a comp that has some footage that has been scaled from SD to fit into an HD project. The footage has been pre comped.

I am getting interlacing issues.

If I get a hold of the original footage (pre-scaled) how do I work with it to avoid the interlacing issue.

Andrew Riss

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: SD footage scaled in a HD comp
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 5:53:12 pm

in the project window, select the footage and choose file>interpret footage>main.

from that window you can set how you want ae to handle most aspects of the footage, one being how to handle fields. it will help to know a few things about your footage -- is it typical 29.97 interlaced or was shot as 24p with a pulldown...? if it has a puldown, is it a typical pulldown cadence or advanced cadence...?

based on what you know about the footage, make sure the separate fields option is set correctly for your footage.

say you have typical 29.97, interlaced sd, ae should be set to separate fields (lower, for most sd footage). in addition, since you want to enlarge the footage, set the option for preserve edges.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: SD footage scaled in a HD comp
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:08:41 pm

there are 2 things that are destroying your footage besides incorrect pulldown.

1. you are deinterlacing then reinterlacing a SD when you resize. There's no passthrough. loss of quality here.

2. then it gets stretched without bicubic filtering, anti-aliasing, adaptive local contrast, smoothing, chroma artifacts, all the stuff high end enlargers fix. I'd recommend red giant instant hd.

btw, don't forget that the color gamut is now 709, not 601.

Return to posts index

Andrew RissRe: SD footage scaled in a HD comp
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:15:51 pm

great, thanks for the advice.

I tracked down the original shot and was able to use lower field which helped the interlacing.

But the quality is still pretty bad since I've blown it up so much. I'll take a look at the plug in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved