ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Split Comp Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will HeineSplit Comp Question
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 8:38:46 am

I purchased an After Effects template where the picture folds up and unfolds to reveal a different picture. This happens 5 times, showing 5 different pics total. The author has set it up so that Video 1 is the picture for comp 1, Video 2 is the picture for comps2, up to comp 5.

I need to have comp 4 unfold and then change pictures while unfolded. So I split the composite at the point where I want the picture to change. The problem is that the 2nd half of the split is tied to Video 4, like the the first half is. Can someone suggest what they think I should do to re-associate the second half of Comp 4 to a new picture? When I open comp 4 all I see is transform and no video (pic) associated with it so that I can change it.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Split Comp Question
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 2:37:47 pm

It sounds like you should be able to make your change by opening Comp 4 and adding your new media there.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Split Comp Question
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 9:07:54 pm

I agree with Walter, however if you can't seem to make it work render two passes (one with each image) and cut/fade in between when you need the change to happen.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jesse ToulaRe: Split Comp Question
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 6:01:25 pm

Is there a reason you couldn't just put both clips into Video 4? Just have the first clip show for however much time and then have the second clip on the layer above starting when you want the cut to happen. It doesn't seem like there is a reason to split the comp.

Also, a possible reason you aren't seeing a video layer in the comps is because they may be "shyed" away. When I create templates I shy layers so that people don't accidentally select something they shouldn't.

Jesse Toula

Visit for AE Templates, Stock Footage, Video Tutorials and more!
Become a fan on Facebook:
Follow me on Twitter:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved